Friday, September 22, 2006

Marketing madness

I used to think it was funny how so many women seemed to easily get their knickers in a knot after becoming a mom. Then I realized now that I have popped out a couple babies, I am more easily offended. Have I officially joined the prissy club?

For example, is the above picture not one step away from this?

Why couldn't the little girl be driving the luxury sports coupe instead of conspicuously leaning against it? I'd like to know if the advertisers thought this was cheeky enough to fly. I wonder if this big national chain store is targeting parents of little boys who hope that with this purchase, all the little girls in the neighborhood will adore their son. When is it too young for sex to sell? Could possibly the answer to this be when they are still wearing Pull Ups?

Really I'm not losing sleep over this, nor am I boycotting this store. However that photo pushes my buttons and I react with a "Hey that's not cool."

21 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

Wow. You know, I never really thought about it until now. Great food for thought.

kittenpie said...

That's funny, I thought she was opening the door and smiling about how much she loved her new car... I am such the cockeyed optimist.

Anonymous said...

Those shiny new "luxury" cars are so ugly. The black and yellow versions we picked up from the neighbours on garbage night are aesthetically appealing by comparisons. (You think I'm joking? That yard equipment is expensive!)

Debbie said...

I totally wouldn't have noticed, but it's there, I think. I'm impressed that you saw it, but you have girls, so I'd imagine you'll notice things I won't if I never become mother to a girl.

p.s. that ain't right.

moplans said...

Hmmm yeah I'd agree. Why isn't she sitting in the car? I haven't seen a kid near one of those who isn't trying to climb in or at least pull the kid who is sitting in the car out the window.

metro mama said...

Yeah, I see what you mean.

Not cool.

Anonymous said...

I feel so numbed out sometimes...I did not see it. Maybe. I don't know. Maybe we are too aware of what might be being said?

I am more aware of the totally IN. YOUR.FACE. Bratz dolls...damn, I hate those things. I want my girls to have fun, but they are really slutty.

Good point you brought up...must allow my cynicism to rear it's ugly head more.

Anonymous said...

My girls printed this out as a colouring page yesterday.
Uh. No.
Understatement of the century.
Check it out.

http://www.mundopeke.com/web/bratz/dibujos/bratz01.gif

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I didn't see it until you drew the comparison. Funny. I think if it were a little boy he would be snuggly seated in the driver's seat.

Or maybe I'm just being sensitive because I have a little girl who will someday be objectified.

motherbumper said...

I agree, I found I have been looking at some things more closely or even differently since becoming a parent. Interesting ad, it really makes you wonder doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

if there were a little boy with the car, then we might complain they were stereotyping. honestly, we have managed to turn everything normal into something potentially hazardous. if it weren't for those god awful slut-on-a-vechicle/motorcycle shots, we would think nothing of this ad. if it weren't for oppressive gender roles, we wouldn't think twice of a little boy in an ad for a kitchen set.
you have a good eye, my friend. i've gone back to being a numb mother. sometimes the ignorance just has to be ignored.

karengreeners said...

not prissy, just aware, and fiercly protective, i'm sure.
I am also hyper-aware of anything that even hints of exploitation of a child.

very astute indeed. and gross.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you know, I bet I wouldn't have even thought of it that way, but now that you point it out- you are totally right!

Anonymous said...

Agh I just checked out the colouring page. Holy cow. That is absol;utely infuriating!

Kristin said...

Intersting comparison... I didn't see it, but now that is pointed out, it is like, DUH!... so obvious.

Along with the teeny housekeeping toys and the small makeup, raising a girl is an uphill battle.

Anonymous said...

At least she's not greased, wearing a bikini. h

Anonymous said...

When you place the pictures together like that ..... WOW! ew! Thanks for making me think!

Anonymous said...

I am in agreement. After the debate over Glitz Pageants at Suburban Turmoil in the last week, I think my hackles are up about anything even remotely resembling the exploitation of little girls and their roles as girls. All the debates over feminism haven't touched much upon this role teaching from such a young age. It makes me wonder if we're starting out wrong in the beginning and trying to fix the symptom instead of the problem.

Sandra said...

Oh I agree with you on this. Makes me mad mad mad

Her Bad Mother said...

I'm right there with you in the Prissy Club. Got the badge and everything.

Mad, mad, mad....

Cristina said...

Like some of the PP's said, I don't think I would have seen it either. But that just shows how sneaky those advertisers can be. Now that you point it out, I think you're right about the message. It's really wrong.