Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Rocking the Boat

Last night I rushed home early for once because of the Canadian federal election.

I helped Buttercup put her shoes on. She was telling me about a boat.

“What kind of boat?” I asked.

“A yellow boat.” (Her favorite colour.)

“Oh a submarine!”

Off we went. The four of us went walking in the lovely fall evening. We basked in the glow of the big, round ball of a moon hanging low in the sky. The darkness was quickly taking over.

We got to the school and walked up the steps. Buttercup asked “Where’s the boat?”

“Oh no honey, not a boat. We are going to vote. But look there is a yellow sign!”

They waited patiently sitting on chairs in the busy school gym while we marked an x on the ballot. It took maybe five minutes out of our day. All done, we cut through the playground making our way home. When Buttercup realized that there was not going to be a boat she broke down in tears. Colin held her while Strawberry ran to get in two times down the slide. But Buttercup wouldn’t join in. She was heartbroken that there would be no boat.

Maybe that’s why 41% of our population did not bother to rock the vote. I hope that Americans do much better than us in their turnout to the polls. I am amazed that some people do not have an opinion or care enough about the state of their world to make their voice heard.

13 Singing the blues:

nonlineargirl said...

I feel her irrational toddler disappointment.

ewe are here said...

I desperately hope that my fellow Americans do better in the voting percentage this year. Not least because a higher turn out generally favors Democrats, and we need that this year. Oh how we need it...

Now perhaps you need to find your wee girl a lovely toy boat for the bathtub tomorrow... ;-)

kittenpie said...

Wow, I didn't realize turnout was so dismal. How depressing. I can only hope thst by explaining to our kids why we vote, we might be able to keep the next generation going out to have their say.

Mouse said...

My mom tells a similar story of when I was a kid.

On the other hand, it made a real impact on me and I can't imagine not voting when I have the opportunity.

crazymumma said...

shameful the turnout. No excuse.

motherbumper said...

People don't appreciate the freedoms they have. I firmly believe "You don't bother to vote, I can't be bothered to listen to you whine about the government".

Voting would be way cooler if we did it on a boat.

Kyla said...

41% didn't vote? I do hope we do better than that.

Your poor sweetie.

mamatulip said...

I love that you guys took the kids with you. We make a point of taking the kids with us - so they learn, so we can talk about voting and the right to vote and politics.

I was really, really shocked that the voting numbers were so low. It bothers me that so many complain yet clearly, so many don't vote.

moplans said...

oh poor buttercup!
*someone* around here almost never rocks the vote. unless he thinks it is going to be close he can't be bothered to go cancel out my vote.
one time when he was going to vote for (s)mel I threatened to hide his card....

Betsy Mae said...

That is pathetic???? I had no idea that the numbers were so low...shameful.

Geez I get so emotional when I vote, it's so important.

We also took our girls and it was pretty interesting to answer the questions of our five year old. On the other hand, our three year old also thought we were going to 'boat' and asked if we needed fishing rods!!!

Don Mills Diva said...

Perhaps if they held the vote IN a boat, turnout would be higher.

It's worth a try.

petite gourmand said...

wow 41 % huh?
that's sad.
oh well at least they can do it all over again in 6 months time....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.