Friday, October 12, 2007

On the Hunt, I'm After You

What Motherbumper wants, Motherbumper gets! She's asked me to share who I was crushing on during all those super fun years of puberty.

My mother was head over heals infatuated with Elvis Presley. When I was four I would listen to her Elvis collection of vinyl records over and over. I'd be belting out:

"One night with you
Is what I'm now praying for…"

We were in the car driving home from my Aunt's when we heard on the radio that Elvis had died. I was six years old at the time and I didn't really know what it meant but I felt the sadness hanging overhead.

Elvis in his glory days set the tone for all my future crushes. I had an appetite for sexy, pretty boys preferably with dark hair.

My ten year old self hung a picture of this heartthrob on my bedroom door.

Once again my object of affection dominated my turn table.

A year later I was obsessing over five fabulous Brits. Ok, I was a Duranie. It's sad but true. I had a passion for Simon Le Bon that burned brighter than seven suns.



I was a small town girl that pined over my crush because the selection of boys in the neighbourhood could not hold my interest. Of course Simon did not search the world for me and I was left devastated before I even turned fifteen when he married supermodel Yasmin Parvaneh. Simon, how could you?

Shortly after that, my best friend and I decided that we were too mature for crushes on celebrities. One weekend we painstakingly removed the Duran Duran wallpaper that covered every inch of our bedroom walls and put it into photo albums like the true groupies fans that we were. My parents probably let out a huge sigh of relief.

Still there's something about pretty boys that can shake it and sing those suggestive words that gets me all worked up.

It makes me feel like a dirty old woman. Duran Duran is still greasing their wheels and have recently worked with Justin Timberlake. Even though my musical tastes have matured, that is marketing aimed directly at me because I'm still a fourteen year old girl at heart.

11 Singing the blues:

Chemical Robotiks said...

Elvis is killer

motherbumper said...

OMG - I was a Duranie (HARDCORE) too! Soulmates we are sister friend. I crushed on Roger Taylor - I've always had a soft spot for drummers.

Elvis - tres cool.

Rick Springfield? - ummmmm I would have teased you all like Jessie's girl in school.

thanks darlin' - that was fun

ewe are here said...

Although I never really 'crushed' on anyone famous growing up, I really loved Duran Duran's music. Very cool.

My dad's old business partner's wife grew up with Elvis. They were friends. Very odd to know that.

niloc said...

Hey! Shouldn't I fit in there between Simon LeBon and Justin Timberlake?

I'm SO calling Ashley Judd tonight...

Run ANC said...

I would have been all over (young) Elvis, if I had been born in the right decade.

Anonymous said...

I was a Duranie too, though John Taylor was my band member of choice.

Recently I've been reviewing old Duran concert footage on YouTube and silently cursing the fact that I never got to see the entire band in concert (saw Power Station in 1985). I'm definitely not crushing on them like I once was, but I still love their music.

ms blue said...

MB - I can take your teasing soul sista!

Ewe - That is wild about the wife of your dad's business partner!

Sweetie - Oh baby I'm still crushing on you. You do fit that pretty boy description nicely.
Smooooooooch...

NME - You would have been among many! He was a beautiful man.

Nancy - I still love their first three albums. I saw them on David Bowie's Glass Spider Tour.

crazymumma said...

There is nothing like a guy on stage. nothing.

its sick.

Tania said...

I was a faux Duranie. I never crushed on them, and I'm not sure I ever understood what they were singing about, but everyone else was doin' it so...

moplans said...

I read the opening line and 'hungry like the wolf' started playing in my head.
Who could not love Duran Duran?

kittenpie said...

Oh, there is NO shame in crushing on Simon. None at all. I luuuurved Simon. in library school, I went to see DD's Electric Barbarella show, though, and when I came home, I told Misterpie he had won a huge victory that night because he was now cuter than Simon Le Bon. Seriously, he has not aged well. It's so sad.