Thursday, March 23, 2006

Gloom

Every time I turn on the news, there is another story of a mom who had been suffering from depression. It is immensely sad when a mother takes her own life, robbing her children of the role she was supposed to provide to them. It seems like irresponsible journalism. I thought the media was not supposed to cover suicides in fear of copycats.

It is even worse when the news reports that a mother has killed her children. I become completely heartbroken. That's when I turn off the television in tears. I usually end up haunted by these thoughts.

I know that the media has just picked up on postpartum and it appears to be an epidemic. There has to be a better way to bring information to the public. It is a serious condition that can be treated. The media should offer hope not more depressing stories.

3 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

I hate hearing stories like that. It makes me so sad.

Mocha said...

Yuck. That's my insightful comment on this. Just yuck.

More money needs to go to research and development of plans to help women. Most of the time we're seen as competing gals who are obsessive, but the media has to take some responsibility there for focusing on the negative. Another shame.

noncommon said...

i stopped watching the news because of that crap! it just gets into your psyche and taints everything. the world becomes ugly. to some extent ignorance is bliss - not pretending that things like that don't happen, but understanding that a sensational story is something that you can do nothing about and therefore what does it benefit you? knowledge? maybe. but only if you act on it. we can all do something to make things better. but we can't take on the world, and too much information is painful.