Sunday, May 07, 2006

Brunchilicious

One of my fondest childhood memories is Sunday brunch. It was a time to sit down as a family and eat way too much delicious food. I looked forward to it every week. My girlfriends enjoyed sleeping over on Saturday night so that they could join in on the feast. There were pancakes, toast, bacon, sausages, hash browns and eggs done multiple ways. In my mind I can still smell all these merged scents. Surprisingly, I don't recall feeling like I was over eating so I presume that I only took small portions. Plus I usually skipped the eggs because back then they really grossed me out.

Besides all the food, it was a time for us to gather in the 70's inspired kitchen with the yellow and brown flowered wallpaper and diamond linoleum floor. Late Sunday mornings were guaranteed wholesome family goodness. There were jovial conversations that were not typical during the hectic week.

Now that I have a family of my own, I've downsized this ritual. However our lazy Sundays still include pancakes from scratch. Since everyone has thrown out their old pancake mix thanks to Mommy off the Record, I thought it would only be kind to share my favourite, super easy recipe.

Pancakes
Mix all dry ingredients together:
2¼ cups Flour
1 tbsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
4 tbsp Sugar

In a separate bowl combine:
2 Eggs well beaten
2 cups Milk
6 tbsp Oil
½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Pour liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix. If you prefer thinner pancakes add more milk. Heat pan. Flip pancakes when the batter bubbles (usually about 4 minutes) I always toss the first batch away. If you have any left over pancakes, freeze them and pop them into the toaster for a quick breakfast later in the week.

For some fun you could throw in blueberries, chocolate chips or anything else that you fancy. Smother in syrup and enjoy! Of course this pancake mix is divine. I'm really not a domestic mom, I just play one on my blog.

13 Singing the blues:

Cristina said...

1. I can't believe I got the first comment on your blog post this time.

And 2. I can't believe I'm in your post. So totally cool!

I'm definitely keeping this recipe and I'm DEFINITELY adding in the chocolate chips! Yum.

The Domesticator said...

Sounds totally yummy! I'll have to try it out.
Although, the hubby has a similar recipe, only he mushes up some bananas and sour cream...the kiddies love it. He makes great ones...I tend to burn them for some reason.
Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Okay, I am hopping on a plane and coming right over :)

Anonymous said...

heh Ok we love pancakes at my house. However since we started eating them like mad when I was pregnant I always used boxed mix! I am so trying your recipe next weekend!

nonlineargirl said...

Chris is committed to buttermilk pancakes. He ran to the store yesterday to make pancakes and bacon for his mom and me. Today is sunday brunch with friends - fritata, fruit salad, muffins, bagels. Yay for brunch!

kittenpie said...

yeah, we do pancake Sundays almost every week here too. Misterpie used to take pride in his scratch recipe (something involving sour cream too), but now he has found a mix he likes, and I just see them as a vehicle for maple syrup, so I'm not so fussy!

Anonymous said...

I loooooove homemade waffles & pancakes with real maple syrup. But Sunday is Hubz's day to sleep in so we usually do some kind of lunchier thing instead.

Sandra said...

Hey we do Pancake Sunday's too. Every Sunday. Today I had to work at 7:30 and my son made me get him up at 6 so we could still have pancake Sunday together.

But I am saluting you because ours is all about the mix and lots of syrup.

Marcie said...

Pancakes from scratch? Shh, don't tell my family. You are a domestic goddess!

Mom101 said...

Thanks for just upping my carb quotient for the week. I could eat breakfast every meal. Truly.

Anonymous said...

I may just have to try this - I usually resort to Eggo's or Bisquick!

Heather Bea said...

I am sensing pancakes for dinner tonight at the Mama Land house.

Mom on the Run said...

Now I'm hungry and its almost midnight! I will NOT go and microwave those Aunt Jemima frozen pancakes!