Sunday, June 04, 2006

Time is a funny thing

In 1986, I... was 15, living in Saskatchewan. I sat on the floor in my bedroom, listening to Casey Kasem's Countdown on the radio and wrote bad poetry. I spent endless hours talking on my very own dusty rose telephone to my amazing girlfriends about crushes that I had on boys that were unattainable. A few of the hit songs that filled the airwaves were "Kiss" - Prince and the Revolution, "Walk Like An Egyptian" - The Bangles, "Papa Don't Preach" - Madonna, "Real Wild Child (Wild One)" - Iggy Pop , "Take My Breath Away" - Berlin, "West End Girls" - Pet Shop Boys...

In 1996, I... was living on my own in Toronto in a basement apartment. I had my dream job and a serious boyfriend of three years. We saw concert after concert and our social lives were in high gear. Some of the CD's that I was listening to were: Odelay - Beck, Razorblade Suitcase - Bush, First Band on the Moon - The Cardigans, Better Living Through Chemistry - Fatboy Slim, Fountains of Wayne - Fountains of Wayne, As Good as Dead - Local H, Fever In Fever Out - Lucious Jackson, Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt, One Hot Minute - Red Hot Chili Peppers, Evil Empire - Rage Against the Machine, Becoming X - Sneaker Pimps, Irresistible Bliss - Soul Coughing, Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop - Stone Temple Pilots, Pinkerton - Weezer...

In 2001, I... bought a house with my boyfriend of eight years. That summer we got engaged. We still spent a lot of time going out with friends but noticed that more planning was involved. I had been promoted several times and was enjoying the perks of travel and an expense account. The following albums were brand spanking new: Discovery - Daft Punk, Warning: - Green Day, Gorillaz - Gorillaz, Morning View - Incubus, Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World, Rock Steady - No Doubt, Amnesiac - Radiohead, Is This It - The Strokes...

In 2003, I... had my first daughter. We took many ONE Dollar flights on Jetsgo to visit my relatives in the Prairies. I personally may have caused this airline to go bankrupt.



The baby jumped in her jolly jumper to the sounds of: Elephunk -Black Eyed Peas, Life For Rent -Dido, Get Born - Jet, On and On - Jack Johnson, Heavier Things -John Mayer, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below -Outkast, Liz Phair - Liz Phair, Sleeping With Ghosts - Placebo, Elephant - The White Stripes...

In 2005, I... had my second daughter. I spent many days of my maternity leave at my new job, as I felt responsible for the department that I oversee. The great bathroom renovation project began. The family unit was grooving to: Guero -Beck, Monkey Business - Black Eyed Peas, X&Y - Coldplay, Plans - Death Cab for Cutie, In Your Honor - Foo Fighters, Demon Days -Gorillaz, Elevator - Hot Hot Heat, In Between Dreams - Jack Johnson, With Teeth - Nine Inch Nails, Lullabies to Paralyze - Queens of the Stone Age, Late Registration - Kanye West, Get Behind Me Satan - The White Stripes...

So far in 2006, I... started this blog and found other people who amaze me with their words. Spent unsuccessful hours trying to negotiate with a toddler. Kissed my children a zillion times.

Yesterday I... surfed through blogs. Ran around the house trying to clean up little messes. My mother has returned to her own home and has left my house looking rather spiffy. I really want to maintain this state but it is way too much work. Wet Play-Doh is hard to clean up.

Today I... cut up an entire watermelon. Seriously, that is a huge job! Had a shower. (Wahoo another fine achievement!) Figured out how to create and upload video clips. Overall, it was a pretty successful day!




Video Hosting - Upload Video - Video Sharing

Tomorrow I will... make a doctor's appointment. For over a week, I have constantly had the spins. Every time my cheek hits the pillow the room begins rotating. It is also my last week of maternity leave. I hope to get the girls into an earlier routine.

In the next year I will... try to find myself. I will feel guilty that I'm feeling too guilty and realize that it was a complete waste of time. I will cheer on my girls in their every achievement!

Mrs. Chicky tagged me for this meme in a geographical fashion. In Sesame Street style, I tag all 28 year olds, as well as anyone whose name begins with the letter K.

19 Singing the blues:

Marcie said...

I loved the video! Buttercup's dancing is so funny and Strawberry's voice is cute, how fun.
I like the way you listed the music you were listening to at the different times, kind of like the soundtracks for your life.

Wendy Boucher said...

Hope you have a very smooth transition back into work!

The Domesticator said...

Thanks for sharing your walk down memory lane. I guess since I am a LITTLE older than 28 (smile) and my name does not begin with K, I am not tagged!! Does feeling like I am 28 count? heehee. I hope you are feeling better soon. Maybe it's an inner ear problem.

motherbumper said...

I've been trying to comment for over an hour! Bumper is running me ragged. Short of long:
Love your meme, love your musical tastes and theme. Love your blog.
Glad you found me!

Anonymous said...

hehe loved the video!! The walk down memory lane was awesome!! One week till work...wow! Good luck! I look forward to reading all about it!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane via the tunes. Loved the video. So cute!

Good luck with your new endeavors. Hopefully we'll get to keep reading about them!

Stacy said...

how cute! Is she saying, "that's my name?"

ms blue said...

Yes, that's her "That's My Name" song or maybe it's a cheer. She comes up with these things all on her own.

Bea said...

My 2003 babe also grooved to Dido in the Jolly Jumper...and "Papa Don't Preach" has been going through my head for three days now (only with new words: "Mama Don't Sing" - bub's new favourite phrase).

That's a fun tag - I'd be in on the "K" (middle name) if my Great White citizenship hadn't already done the trick.

nonlineargirl said...

I love the seated-dancing!

I hope your last week of leave is good and not too vertiginous.

kittenpie said...

I am so loving your dancing baby! If only I had the tech...

mamatulip said...

I LOVE THAT VIDEO!!! I've watched it like four times!

Oooh, that means you've tagged me. I'm 28 and my name starts with K. Sweet. I'll do this up soon.

Debbie said...

a) love the manner you chose to answer the meme. some super-good music in there, too. :)

b) your girls? are *divine*.

*floating on a cloud of cute*

Mom101 said...

This is cool. I love how music so locks certain times in your mind. (Meanwhile, I cut up a whole watermelon today. I too feel very proud.)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I love the way you approached this meme. A timeline through music... perfect!

That video was great. Your girls can really boogie. Especially the wee one.

Her Bad Mother said...

LOVE IT!

What dance team you got there!

carrie said...

Love the music, love the video, love the Meme!!

Hope you enjoy your last week home with the girls, who are so cute-betcha never hear that!!!

scarbie doll said...

We listen to a LOT of the same music. And since music is your job, that makes me feel pretty cool. Thanks SB!

Anonymous said...

You have such good taste in music! Husband just came home with a bootlegged DVD of Daft Punk live (recent) in Paris. It's pretty damn cool!