Thursday, July 13, 2006

Going Down?

Thirteen Things About Elevators

1. As I was leaving the office I got into the elevator to find another person there but she had not pressed any floor destination. It left me puzzled. Can't make up your mind? Nothing better to do than to joyride on the elevator? Don't know how this thing functions? I wonder if she ever got to where she was going?

2. Today I also got on an elevator going down at the same time as another person who immediately chose a higher floor than we were currently on. Plus this person had waited for this elevator when multiple other elevators had arrived taking other passengers on their way up. Once again I questioned if I had stumbled upon a person with extreme lack of knowledge on elevators. Or perhaps she knew that this is the BEST elevator in the building and she always waits to ride on this one.

3. People who go one floor make me want to let loose the rage of the universe and throttle them senseless. There are these fantastic things called stairs people. They won't kill you!

4. Avoid getting on elevators with sweaty, bike couriers.

5. Unless, of course, he is really hot and you can fantasize about hot elevator action for the entire ride.

6. What's with people asking me for information about other floors? Do they think that I'm the information building tenant expert? Is that dirty look necessary because I don't have the answer?

7. I want to turn to someone one day and wide eyed ask them "But how do I get to the thirteenth floor?"

8. I think I'm so smart when crowds of people cram into the elevator and I alone wait for the next one that takes me express style up to my destination! Wahoo victory dance!

9. I've caught myself grooving to a song in my head alone in an elevator only to realize that of course I'm on camera and someone is probably laughing at me right now. At least I didn't pull my underwear out of my butt.

10. What's with that woman who travels to our floor to only use the washroom?

11. I enjoy catching some brief snippets of conversations and people watching. In the past, I know that my previous co-workers and I took great delight in making innocent bystanders bewildered.

12. I have found myself counting the people, estimating the current weight load and looking for the maximum limit sign.

13. I have no real fear and yet I can't help imagining the elevator plunging down to the bottom due to malfunctions on at least eighty percent of the time spent enclosed. Do other people have an obsession with this predicament?

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

32 Singing the blues:

Red said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you on those people who take the elevator to go only one floor... Especially when the elevator is one of those old, rickety, hiccuppy ones that go a few feet past their designated floor, then go back down with a bump.

Happy TT!

*~*Michelle*~* said...

I can so relate! And that using the washroom thing? People at my work do that too! What *is* up with that!

Wystful1 said...

#7? Tooooo funny.
#12? Oh lordy, now next time I'll be doing it...if it weren't for your list, I would have never thought of this....now look what you've gone and done?!! (just kidding)

Enjoyable 13 you've posted

Anonymous said...

I have experienced 8, 9, 12 and 13...but I usually try to avoid crowded elevators - they make me nervous. Great List!

My TT is up!

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of elevators. I used to have nightmares about the elevators in my dad's apartment building, and they left a lasting effect on me. Whenever possible, I opt for the stairs (but since having kids, that's become increasingly more difficult...it's hard to lug a stroller up the stairs).

This was cool...your T13's are always so creative.

armywife said...

#10. i used to know a girl who did this. i think she just hated public restrooms and thought that if she went up or down a floor, she wouldn't know anyone there. yeah, doesn't really make sense to me either.

i've posted too at
http://blog.myspace.com/christengarland

Carmen said...

hot elevator action. ha! I need to ride on the ones you ride on!

K T Cat said...

What happens when #1 and #5 occur at the same time?

;-)

Anonymous said...

People who ride up or down one flight alwys annoy me... unless they are handicapped in anyway... I took the stairs at 9 months pregnant (of course at this point, I was hoping it would start labor! :)).

Mama Duck said...

LOL too funny!

One Scrappy Gal said...

This list made me laugh!! :)

Where WAS the woman in #1 going?!!

Lyn said...

I purposely talk to people on elevators. lol. Thanks for visiting FBO and my T13 - Bible Misquotes Edition.

Amy The Black said...

I not only imagine the elevator plunging, but I also start devising escape routes and who I should eat first.

Unknown said...

One of my friends used to get on elevators and face the people just to get a reaction and annoy them. Elevators have interesting cultural rules. My list is up!

Anonymous said...

LOL! I so get the hot bike courier guy...

I would rather take stairs than elevators. Just too many humans in too close of a space.

Frances D said...

People who go one floor make me crazy too!
Number 5 is always good ;)
My own list is up.
Take care,
Frances

The Tempest said...

I hate old elevators. We went to Las Vegas last year and rode the worlds oldest elevator. It creaked and groaned and shuttered.

I kept having horror movie flashbacks the whole time.

Domestic CEO said...

Okay, after only reading the title, I SOO thought you were going somewhere else with this TT. LOL!

MaR said...

your nr 5 cracked me up! I normally avoid elevators, unless I have to the 4th floor...for one thing is the much needed exercise and second: I do have a tiny bit of a mulfunction, yes I do, specially if it is one of those old yet nice kept elevators they like here in Europe...help!
Happy tt!!

Anonymous said...

You make me ALMOST want to get a real job just to ride on the elevators. Loved 4...5...7... How come there's no 13 Floor!?

Red Queen said...

My daughter and I like to play mind games on elevators- like getting in and facing all the people, or moving closer and closer to the person beside you, or jumping when it gets to the floor. Thanks for stopping by. Be blessed.

Pixie said...

That was funny. I don't like the elevator & will take stairs if I can. Not sure why but it's a mild phobia of mine.

Thanks for visiting my TT. Have a great day! :-)

Susan said...

I am not afraid of elevators...except that I DID ride in one where a lady had a panic attack because it wasn't going "fast enough" and literally crawled to the bottom floor...she was panicking because she thought it wouldn't open. It was then that I thought...if I had to get stuck in an elevator with a crazy person, I would be a little anxious myself. Great post!!

My TT is up here. Hope you'll drop by!!

Anonymous said...

Ha- I've totally done #1- gotten on the elevator and then spaced out, not pressed any buttons and stood there wondering why it felt like the elevator wasnt moving?! duh!

Lindsey said...

LOL! You are so right on every single one of those points - especially about people going up one floor. That is soooo annoying! Happy TT!

YellowRose said...

Elevators are quite interesting....As long as they are not tiny, I'm ok....claustraphobic, I am!

Stacy said...

i don't think i could have come up with 13 things about an elevator but you did a good job! funny!

Beckadoodles said...

Wow, I don't hink I've ever thought much about elevators...other than I really don't like them!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Mom101 said...

This made me laugh out loud!

Here's a fun thing: Get into a full elevator and face backwards, see how the other passengers react.

Heh.

Her Bad Mother said...

What Mom-101 said - LLLLLOL.

Try getting on with your skirt tucked into the back of your tights. That gets 'em too.

nonlineargirl said...

I've been the person in #1. Spacy, spacy, spacy.

The one floor rider drives me insane too. I used to work in a 5 story building (on the second floor). Every morning I'd see people waiting for the elevator as I headed for the stairs. Three minutes later I'd walk by just as they emerged from an elevator on the second floor.

Sandra said...

Gotta love elevators. I always get in and imagine ..."what if the elevator breaks and I am stuck between floors for hours with these people? How would that play out..."