Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Two for one

Sunshine Scribe tagged me for a book meme. Now this is where I must confess that I read for pure pleasure. I have an addiction to books. I buy more than I could possibly read. Husband has put limitations on other addictions. He imposed a ban on both of us from buying magazines. We both slip up from time to time. He has made it publicly known that no one is to feed my addiction to candles. So far he hasn't noticed the ludicrous amount I spend on books. Once he reads this I will have to revert to tit for tat tactics. Thank goodness he's a collector too.

I need to make more time for reading novels but I'm afraid that it will cut into my blog reading. Heaven forbid! Plus I admit that I read slowly devouring every word. I know that I should read to gain knowledge and insight but I love to escape. It's the fish in me. I associate myself to what is happening with the character therefore I don't like putting a book down if I'm at a point where the protagonist is feeling troubled or depressed. It will literally reflect on my mood.

Reading has always been one of my favourite activities. My family still teases me that during my youth they would often beg me to go outside and play but I was too busy reading and writing. Plus I am far too pale anyway.

Eventually I will make my way through more classic literature but I will continue to sneak in all my guilty pleasures. Life is too short not to have fun whenever you can.

1. One book that changed your life: As a child I lived by the words in Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could.

2. One book that you've read more than once: I pretty much had The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton memorized.

3. One book you would want on a desert island: An empty journal. I would have to write in order to keep my sanity.

"...Once again the waves of the ocean were a wake up call from Mother Nature to do my business. And damn what are those birds so cheerful about? This ain't no Blue Lagoon. I wish I had picked a novel with words when I did that meme so that I had a little entertainment until my prince rides up on the white cruise line to rescue me. He better bring gigantic bowls of ice cream. Oh wait, I remember hating when those people on Survivor spent useless hours daydreaming about food. Time to go hunt for another coconut..."
4. One book that made you laugh: Watermelon by Irish Chick Lit author Marian Keyes. She never disappoints with her dark humour and well developed characters.

5. One book that made you cry: The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve but any book that Oprah recommends usually pulls at your heart strings.

6. One book that you wish had been written: I wish that I had my ancestor's journals.

7. One book that you wish had never been written: The only book that comes to mind is the one that people blame many wars on. The Bible. Still I would never give that answer for it offers hope and morals. I couldn't imagine how the world would be without this book.

8. The book that you are currently reading: The inaugural winner of the Orange Award for New Writers 26a by Diana Evans.

9. One book that you have been meaning to read: Next up is A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby thanks to one of my favourite ladies.

**************************************

Since music is more my thing I saw that Metro Mama has created a meme and so I jumped right on the bandwagon.

Step 1) Pick a band or singer
Step 2) Answer the questions using only song titles
Step 3) Post

Artist: Nirvana
Are you male or female?: About a Girl
Describe yourself: In Bloom
How do some people feel about you?: Heart Shaped Box
How do you feel about yourself?: I Hate Myself and I Want To Die (only joking - sorry I couldn't resist) All Apologies (more like) Love Buzz
Describe what you want to be: Come As You Are
Describe your current mood: Verse Chorus Verse
Describe your friends: Very Ape
Share a few words of wisdom: Milk It

The one song title that I wanted to include just for the interesting search engine hits was Moist Vagina but I wasn't sure which answer it should be.

Wanna play? Books or songs? Just let me know in the comments and I will add your link here!

14 Singing the blues:

Bea said...

I love your comments about reading at the beginning of the post. I am another totally irresponsible book-collector. My MIL tries to set a good example of library borrowing, but somehow it's not quite the same thing as buying the book (another book to add to the very tall stack of unread books at the side of my bed - and on my coffee table - and taking over my kitchen counter).

kittenpie said...

My parents used to have to throw me outside and lock the door to get my nose out of a book and some fresh air into my lungs - literally. I love that you'd bring a blank journal - that's a wonderful answer I haven't seen anywhere else.

I am shameless about books too, and being around them all day long only feeds the beast.

Anonymous said...

Such a timely post for me - I finally got a library card, which will hopefully curtail my penchant for buying books. I will have to look for some these you've listed here (other than The Little Engine and The Outsiders, of course - got those already!).

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I loove that music meme (very clever, Metro Mama). If you would have worked in Moist Vagina I would be bowing at your feet.

metro mama said...

Great book meme. I'm with you on the Outsiders, and Rumble Fish too.

The Nirvana music meme? Love it, love it, love it!

Personally, I'd like to put Moist Vagina under Current Mood, but unfortunately, What You Want To Be would be more accurate right now.

Anonymous said...

Ooo loving your book meme! The song Meme is fun too!

The Domesticator said...

THE PILOT'S WIFE MADE ME CRY, TOO...

That song meme looks like a lot of fun...perhaps I shall try it!

Heather said...

I loved the outsiders as a kid and read it over and over again.

Cristina said...

I have to tell you something...this is SO weird....but I was just googling "moist vagina" and I happened upon your site. What are the chances?

(I loved the Pilot's Wife too by the way.)

Ali said...

ooh. i want to do both. :)

motherbumper said...

oh oh oh The Outsider is such a great book! I remember being so blown away when I discovered that S.E. Hinton was a girl AND a teenager when she wrote that book. It made me think I could do anything (kinda like your Little Engine That Could - NEAT!).

Debbie said...

I LOVE the Nirvana part of this. It's brilliant.

(and I hope you like the book.) :p

Sandra said...

Great book meme answers ... especially the blank journal ... why didn't I think of that ?!?

Oh and Nirvana!! That was a brilliant one. You could have fit in Moist Vagina for almost every question ... try it. I swear it could work - ha ha

Stephanie said...

If you would like, please join me and a bunch of other bloggers at my book club blog, The Written Word, at www.virtual-book.blogspot.com. We are currently reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I will be posting discussion questions on Sept. 1st!