Sunshine Scribe tagged me for a book meme. Now this is where I must confess that I read for pure pleasure. I have an addiction to books. I buy more than I could possibly read. Husband has put limitations on other addictions. He imposed a ban on both of us from buying magazines. We both slip up from time to time. He has made it publicly known that no one is to feed my addiction to candles. So far he hasn't noticed the ludicrous amount I spend on books. Once he reads this I will have to revert to tit for tat tactics. Thank goodness he's a collector too.
I need to make more time for reading novels but I'm afraid that it will cut into my blog reading. Heaven forbid! Plus I admit that I read slowly devouring every word. I know that I should read to gain knowledge and insight but I love to escape. It's the fish in me. I associate myself to what is happening with the character therefore I don't like putting a book down if I'm at a point where the protagonist is feeling troubled or depressed. It will literally reflect on my mood.
Reading has always been one of my favourite activities. My family still teases me that during my youth they would often beg me to go outside and play but I was too busy reading and writing. Plus I am far too pale anyway.
Eventually I will make my way through more classic literature but I will continue to sneak in all my guilty pleasures. Life is too short not to have fun whenever you can.
1. One book that changed your life: As a child I lived by the words in Wally Piper's The Little Engine That Could.
2. One book that you've read more than once: I pretty much had The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton memorized.
3. One book you would want on a desert island: An empty journal. I would have to write in order to keep my sanity.
"...Once again the waves of the ocean were a wake up call from Mother Nature to do my business. And damn what are those birds so cheerful about? This ain't no Blue Lagoon. I wish I had picked a novel with words when I did that meme so that I had a little entertainment until my prince rides up on the white cruise line to rescue me. He better bring gigantic bowls of ice cream. Oh wait, I remember hating when those people on Survivor spent useless hours daydreaming about food. Time to go hunt for another coconut..." 4. One book that made you laugh: Watermelon by Irish Chick Lit author Marian Keyes. She never disappoints with her dark humour and well developed characters.
5. One book that made you cry: The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve but any book that Oprah recommends usually pulls at your heart strings.
6. One book that you wish had been written: I wish that I had my ancestor's journals.
7. One book that you wish had never been written: The only book that comes to mind is the one that people blame many wars on. The Bible. Still I would never give that answer for it offers hope and morals. I couldn't imagine how the world would be without this book.
8. The book that you are currently reading: The inaugural winner of the Orange Award for New Writers 26a by Diana Evans.
9. One book that you have been meaning to read: Next up is A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby thanks to one of my favourite ladies.
Since music is more my thing I saw that Metro Mama has created a meme and so I jumped right on the bandwagon.
Step 1) Pick a band or singer
Step 2) Answer the questions using only song titles
Step 3) Post
Are you male or female?: About a Girl
Describe yourself: In Bloom
How do some people feel about you?: Heart Shaped Box
How do you feel about yourself?: I Hate Myself and I Want To Die (only joking - sorry I couldn't resist) All Apologies (more like) Love Buzz
Describe what you want to be: Come As You Are
Describe your current mood: Verse Chorus Verse
Describe your friends: Very Ape
Share a few words of wisdom: Milk It
The one song title that I wanted to include just for the interesting search engine hits was Moist Vagina but I wasn't sure which answer it should be.
Wanna play? Books or songs? Just let me know in the comments and I will add your link here!