Monday, October 02, 2006

Time away

I disappeared. It's funny how you can do that with the web. It's like being a magician! A la Peanut Butter Sandwiches and Poof!... I'm back.

I've just returned from spending time with my girlfriends on the East coast.

I have got lots to say but no time to write. Until I can squeeze in some quality time with my 'puter, I will point you in the direction of A Perfect Post. Izzy wrote about acts of rage in Kindergarten and her fears for her daughter in Hungry Hearts Pt II.

A Perfect Post

Even if I could recall three decades ago when I entered elementary school it was a very different experience. As a parent, it is one of the biggest stepping stones for us to let our children boldly make their way into a social learning setting. The process and feelings about education are established early. The building blocks in developing relationships and interacting outside of the family unit fall into place. Why there is more violent behavior in some children is up for debate but it runs rampant. It could be children misdirecting aggression for attention due to preoccupied working parents caught up in climbing the corporate ladder. It could be due to early exposure to violence in the media. Television and video games have completely changed and some parents have questionable boundaries that they feel are right for the age of their children. Likely it is a combination of factors that tie together to make being a teacher more challenging than ever.

How do we keep our children safe when we are not there? This is something that every good parent asks themselves. It gave me plenty of food for thought. I hope that TQ's experience continues to improve. All children deserve a safe place to learn.

After you check out Izzy's well crafted thoughts, be sure to visit Momma K and Lucinda to find a complete listing of all the September Perfect Posts.

16 Singing the blues:

Jonathon Morgan said...

I'm totally paranoid for when Little-E starts school. Eeek! It's right around the corner, too.

metro mama said...

Welcome back! Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Good choice!

Can't wait to hear about your wild women trip!

MrsFortune said...

Did you take that picture? Beautiful! Can't wait to hear more about the trip! Woo-hoo, a girls trip. I'm jealous.

Heather said...

Thank you thank you thank you! I haven't had "a la peanut butter sandwiches!" in my vocabulary since I was about 8, and there was no good reason why it left. I will now be re-introducing it. It was my favourite saying when I was a kid.

Beautiful photo!

crazymumma said...

The shot of the ocean fill sme with longing.

Big girl is in grade 4...letting go has been gradual, scary, heartwrenching, sad, exhilirating.

All we can do is stand by and give them strategies and support. They do it. And it is so heartbraking and happymaking....I blather....

Cristina said...

Yay for Izzy! Great choice for a PP award. I read her post when she initially wrote it and liked it a lot.

Sandra said...

Welcome back.

Everything Izzy writes is great. This one particularly got me thinking ... I am so stressed about our decisions for school next year.

Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

Girlplustwo said...

All we can do is love them for who they are and watch their backs as they walk away...and hope and trust that the rest works itself out, because at the end of the day, we've got this moment in time, and the rest is a gift. tough stuff to wrap our arms around.

Anonymous said...

Thank you again! You made my week :)

Anonymous said...

I like what Jen said ... we can also provide that safe place to come back to.

I am totally freaked out about school....three years to keep her in my bubble!

Norma said...

Try thinking back 6 decades! Lots of milestones yet to come.

Stopped by--check out my TT and my third blogiversary. Have some cake.

Her Bad Mother said...

Oooh, a holiday, niiiiice.

Anxious for details!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back - and great choice! That was a terrific post.

Debbie said...

a la peanut butter sandwiches! that's awesome! I'd totally forgotten that.

even if I do watch at least two episodes of sesame street a day; somehow, that flew under the radar until I read it here.

and I'm glad you're back - 'course, I've been kinda in and out too, so I didn't know, but I'm actually kind of relieved, now that I do know.

and your girls keep getting cuter by the millisecond. that pic of Ms. Strawberry in the yellow is *killin'* me.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed your trip. Love the beautiful pics.

I thought I was the only person who still sometimes said "A la, peanut butter sandwiches"! Classic Sesame Street rules. Too funny.