Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nova Scotia Pillow Fight Fest '06

After reading the timely advice from Gloria Steinem on suggesting that we leave our children with our husbands, it felt like some kind of experiment when I flew away for three whole glorious days. (Yes over a week ago. I feel the need to apologize for putting sleep before blogging. I have an unquenchable desire to spend time unconscious.)

What made me nervous was that Colin was not nervous in the slightest. Personally, I would have been! Having to look after everything, for an extended period of time, with no relief in sight, while your significant other is off gallivanting can be tiresome. However it appears that they are always on their best behavior for Colin. He swears that they start crying and whining the moment that I walk in the door from work. I don't think this reflects well on me. No doubt, I will have to get him a Father of the Year Gold Trophy for the den. (We don't have a den.)

A gallivanting I did go...

I arrived in Halifax to meet my longtime friends. Before I even spotted them, I heard Jade's laughter ring through the airport. We quickly hightailed it to the airport liquor store to buy some red wine. Only after we each picked a bottle could we fetch my luggage. We had to force ourselves to go to sleep that night. Gone are the days where we'd giggle ourselves awake until four A.M. Well not quite. I was sharing a room with Violet and we kept calling off our conversation with a responsible "OK that is it really. We have got to get to sleep. Goodnight." And then we'd find another topic that we clearly had to discuss. We had quite few rounds of this.


(Something Amber, Violet, Ruby and Jade at Hall's Harbour. Yah, that's not there given names but they'll do just fine here!)

Friday I managed to wake up to say hello to Amber's husband and five year old son. I wished them a good day before crawling back into bed for a couple more hours of rest. This was a smart thing because our first full day was filled with Go, Go goodness.

The misty day included a trip to Hall's Harbour, to Huntington Point to see the magical Macdonald Cottages, lunch at a cafe in Kentville, to Acadia University, the Just Us! Café in Wolfville for coffee and chocolate, wine tasting at Domaine de Grand Pré, a quick peek of the Blomidon Inn, a local market to buy Honeycrisp apples and then dinner at Tempest.


(Grapes at Domaine de Grand Pré, The Macdonald Cottage at Huntington Point, Lighthouse at Peggy's Cove, pumpkins on the roof of a market in Mahone Bay)

The next beautiful, sunny autumn day was just as action packed. After the required daily trip to Coldbrook's Tim Horton's we headed to Mahone Bay where we stumbled across their Annual Great Scarecrow Festival. Off we went for a picnic in Lunenburg. I freaked out when a bumblebee got caught in my hair. Thank goodness for Amber who rescued me by detangling my beehive. We admired the colourful stores and houses. We dipped into a coffee shop where we sat on their deck and watched the Bluenose II come to shore. The Swissair Flight 111 Memorial was on the way to Peggy's Cove. I introduced Ruby and Violet to Hoegaarden beer at The Library Pub, where we sang Elton John songs with the Piano man over supper. Back at Amber's we shared some bubbly Blueberry Sparkling Wine from the previous day's venture to the Domaine de Grand Pré.

Sunday we toured around the Halifax harbour buying last minute souvenirs and lobster rolls before heading to the airport. I feel bad that I did not get the opportunity to go visit my relatives in Nova Scotia but I'm hoping to make a road trip as a family vacation back to this beautiful part of the world.

This marked the second girl's getaway. The first was hosted by Ruby in Seattle back in February 2005. Next up the all night pillow fight in California 2007!

16 Singing the blues:

metro mama said...

Sounds amazing. Glad you had a good time!

crazymumma said...

What a great break for you! You must feel so revived.

Anonymous said...

amazing!

i'm sooo freakin' envious :)

Heather Bea said...

What a great time!

Bea said...

Something about this post is so evocative of that really good girl fun. Especially the part about all those rounds of trying to say good night. It makes me wistful just thinking about it (how long has it been since I've had a really good sleepover?).

But that thing about the bee in your hair? Haha. Stuff like that doesn't happen in real life. (It's in the same category as monsters under the bed. Right?)

kittenpie said...

That sounds so fantastic. I have to start organizing stuff like that with my friends. Except we don't have a big enough group of interlinked people. Bah.

nonlineargirl said...

Good for you for getting away and having a grat time! Sounds like a wonderful few days.

Sandra said...

Wine at the airport before luggage ... you are my kind of roommate!!

Sounds like the perfect weekend. I couldn't be more jealous. You have inspired me to try and see if any or my friends are up for such a thing. What a spectacular annual tradition!

Anonymous said...

That is so totally cool! The pictures are awesome and it sounds like the trip was great! I so need to try that in a few years!

Anonymous said...

That looks so fabulous!

Chicky said...

Lucky mama! I just looked at your pictures. What a beautiful area! I am so itching to do a roadtrip-to anywhere at this point!

motherbumper said...

OMG! You did all my fav places. Isn't Tempest great and the Just Us cafe is fantastic (Bumper has been there twice and she approves). I'm so glad you had a fantastic time and I hope you feel well rested.

Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures! I really do need to visit the Great White North, because it looks like there's not nearly as much white as we Americans think, and there's much more GREAT than we'd ever imagine!

The Domesticator said...

Sounds like a wonderful get away! So glad you had a good time. And I suspect you came home and everyone was in one piece, right? :)

Anonymous said...

My best fried and I often tell our husbands we'll be up to bed in a few minutes and continue talking well into the night. friends like that are awesome - glad you had a great time.

Plus it's clear you have your priorities straight in th vino department.

Debbie said...

those pictures are making my throat feel lumpy. they're so lovely. achingly lovely.

you have some groovy friends.

thanks for sharing the trip with us. :)

xo