Thursday, June 28, 2007

Freestyle

I don't know why blogging is difficult for me these days. If I keep waiting for brilliance to strike, this web page will turn to dust and blow away. So forgive me for the verbal spew I bring forth in a desperate attempt to find my mojo.

We had a lovely trip out west. The weather was cool and rainy. The girls were spoiled and I kept my mom going nonstop. There was swimming, play parks, the library, movies, shopping and plenty of dancing. I ate pineapple gelato, lamb shishlake, perogies and cabbage rolls. Yummmmmm…

We are used to spending every evening outside with the girls running around however on the Prairies that is not a viable possibility. Every time I ventured out, the mosquitoes attacked. I was fresh blood. It got to the point that I told Strawberry that we couldn't go outside if the mosquitoes were awake and they were always awake. One evening we noticed her starring at a lamp and then she gave a low, throaty growl. I irrupted in giggles as I discovered her trying to scare off a mosquito.

Add on a two hour time difference and no dad in sight to enforce the bed time routine and the girls ended up going to bed later and later. Getting back to the swing of things this past week has been hard. That of course is normal for us. We seem to constantly be fighting the late bed time routine in hopes of an earlier and easier morning ritual. The battle continues on…

I woke up this past Sunday feeling the effects of a few too many gin and tonics to find my sixteen year old cat Monty was in very bad shape. He had a territorial dispute over our backyard with a neighborhood cat about a week earlier and his head had an abscess that ruptured. I had to quickly realize that in his old age my lovable, grouchy, fat cat had been wasting away to almost nothingness. Colin who had quite the relationship struggle with Monty over the years had to come to my rescue. We said our goodbyes and the girls couldn't understand why we were sad. Strawberry was happy that Monty could finally go live with Duckie, his sweetie and sidekick for twelve years. She thought he was going to be so happy in his new home. I don't know what she envisions but I hope I'm not doing any damage to her psyche. She seems to be happy with the information that we have given her. Colin took him to an emergency vet and stayed with him to the end. I loved that cat. He was full of personality and even with his independent cat like ways, he was truly devoted to me.

I'm now on day four of my own wasting away diet. There is nothing like a summer heat wave to make you realize that the diet that you had best intentions for had not materialized and it was time to take drastic measures. I go by the old standard for evaluating my obesity. Stand up and look down. If you can see your toes you are still ok. Whew! Now stand with your legs together. If your thighs touch you are overweight. Thunder crash! Hell yah, they touch. Isn't that the idea of together? What supermodel told me of this theory? So here I am on day four of Mission Get Slim Fast. I'm in sugar withdrawal but it is amazingly much easier to suck in my stomach. I'm all about illusions and if I must breath in and walk around never to exhale again, so be it. Visions of sugar treats dance in my head. Ok I admit that George Clooney has been feeding me chocolates...

6 Singing the blues:

motherbumper said...

I get the difficulties blogging... but your posts are always brilliant. And bedtime is a nightmare in this household right now.

Mmmmm... perogies... must go to the store RIGHT NOW

Monty had a wonderful family and life. Strawberry's outlook is so positive - you are great parents.

And I think you look wonderful baby - I have a hard time going sugar free so I'm currently addicted to frozen apple sauce - it's almost like gelato and totally stuffs my ice cream cravings.

karengreeners said...

Aw, I'm so sorry about Monty. But, dealing with the loss of a cat and a sugar ban at the same time? Whoa.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Hey! Glad you're back, I was getting worried about you.

I'm very sorry to hear about your kitty. We lost ours on Saturday and haven't seen him since so I feel your pain. Big hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

I have been going through the same thing with blogging lately. Maybe it's the summer?

I am so sorry to hear about Monty. My older cat turns 16 in a couple of weeks and I can't help but think about how difficult it will be to make the unselfish decision you did, when it's time to do so. I hope you find comfort in knowing how much he was loved, even up until the end.

ewe are here said...

Glad you're back... but so sorry to hear about your kitty.

Good luck with your diet... I really need to find it in me to lose the last 8 pounds or so from my last pregnancy. Sigh. But I love sugar. Double sigh.

kittenpie said...

Gad, I have to figure something out about a diet. Perhaps I can buy myself some willpower? Those MBT pics did me in though, so I may have new resolve.

So sorry about Monty, honey, I know it's hard to lose a pet. I love how sweet strawberry is about it.