Tuesday, August 14, 2007

J To The K

When it came time for my parents to send me off to school with a box of raisins (I really loved raisins), they tried to enroll me at the school that was the closest to our house. This Catholic school rejected me. It was something to do with not being Catholic.

It's pretty much undisputable that school is a great force in molding and shaping us into educated and respectable people. Our first years in school establish our habits and passion to learn. Magazines release articles about the top 25 schools in Canada. As with all our parenting decisions it feels like more pressure is placed upon us to make the right choices for our children. Our shoulders are strapped with heavy bricks.

It's true that I know nothing about Ontario schools being that I did not grow up here but I'm not the kind to fret. I am a strong believer in the theory that things will work out they way that they should. I did not sign up for daycare at the moment of conception. Instead the daycare that I drove by every day on the way to work had one opening when we were looking. I booked a tour and then lucked out even though there was a waiting list. It was all in the timing.

I know some women that began researching elementary school's grade averages and scores before their child's first birthday. At Christmas, Colin's relatives urged me to enroll Strawberry in Junior Kindergarten as soon as possible. Once again I decided to go with the school that I drove by every day. It's not the closest school to our house but it one of the closest to her daycare. This is where it gets tricky. We discovered we would have to get extra forms in order to apply to this school. It was at this point that I did a little bit of research on the internet. I found out that it is a coveted school. Bonus! Of course I did not connect the dots at the time to realize that this meant more parents would be trying to get their children into this school.

There were six spots available for children outside their district. They received twenty two applicants. I began to worry that I would have to start looking for a new daycare solution if Strawberry did not get into this school. Luck intervened! Our daycare rubbed it in reminded me that I should be very thankful and to cool it with my laxadaisy attitude.

This began the era of shout outs to Strawberry's big girl school whenever we drove by. We are all getting excited. I even dragged Colin to a tour and introduction to JK where other parents horrified us with their PTA overachieverness. Yes, that is a new word that is special for them! They must have thought we were delinquents that crashed their meeting for the apple juice and cookies.

Twenty three more sleeps until our first born is in the school system. I already think that Ms. G. rocks for sending a hand written letter in the welcome package.

We are super lucky. Please don't hate us. You would not believe what we had to endure in our past lives. Maybe the Catholic school should have taken me.

16 Singing the blues:

Kyla said...

BubTar starts (senior) Kindergarten here in 13 days...although here in the boring land of America (where there are no Coffee Crisps or KitKat Chunky bars), it is only called Kindergarten.

I hope she LOVES it.

motherbumper said...

Oh wow, is it that time already? Wow.

I don't hate you, I want to rub your foot for luck (and I think your family deserves the best).

kittenpie said...

That is awesome! It would suck to have to move her from a daycare she is comfy in. I tend to believe that things come along, too, and have seen it borne out time and again. Though we just bought our way into one of the good school districts in our area by buying a crappy house in the right neighb for it!

Anonymous said...

I'm like you, and believe that it will all work out in the end. I didn't do the 5 am lineup for preschool, and my son is in a wonderful, nurturing (but different) school. He will be starting JK next september, so I will be thinking about this, oh, next summer or so!!

I like the letter. It's a very nurturing touch!

moplans said...

Wow can you come rub some of that luck off on me?
I am all stressed out about which school to pick. I really, really just want my kids to go to the local public school but the class size is larger than the catholic school and maybe I should think about montessori and what if she want's to go to private school for highschool but I cheaped out in not sending her for elelmentary and then she can't get in? but deep down I know things always work out which is why my lazyass has done nothing about this.

crazymumma said...

What a milestone.

I say you and Colin SMOKE up to the school in your rockin' car (I'll even let you borrow the trans am)and drop her off all Pamela Lee like complete wth a cig in your hand.

And talk to me ANYTIME about the PTA'ers...they are a breed onto themselves.

Tania said...

Don't give up your laxadaisy attitude! Be thankful, but keep doing what you've been doing. It seems to be working for you.

Anonymous said...

What a nice letter! Glad it has all fallen into place. We swing like that too ... it happens as it happens and we end up where we are suppose to be.

mamatulip said...

Woo hoo! What an exciting time, for all of you!

Anonymous said...

Good luck -- I'm sure Strawberry will do fabulously. As will Mom!

Run ANC said...

What wonderful luck! Will you send some my way, please? I'm a cross between the person who believes you have to do things years in advance, and the person who just waits and sees what happens. (Or maybe I'm just schizophrenic..)

Anonymous said...

I don't fret too much about future schooling. I don't think we'll do a private school. But California public schools are considered a laughing stock...

But I was a product of public school and all that. I don't know.

We've been pretty lucky, too. Our big problem is that L.A. Baby is on the way and L.A. Toddler's daycare doesn't take infants. So, we're searching again.

The handwritten note is a really good sign - good luck!

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't trade my kids' school for all the chocolate in the world.

A fantastic group of teachers and the way they helped the kiddies cope when they lost their brother...irreplaceable and way beyond what was necessary.

I heart them.

I hope you have the same great experience.

Good luck Strawberry!

Anonymous said...

Oh hooray. You deserve all the luck in the world.

And that teacher sounds perfect ... it doesn't matter about the school or the facilities or the test scores or whatever ... it is the teacher that makes all the difference.

karengreeners said...

Yay for you guys! Yay for Strawberry! Enrolling your babe in school has got to be one of the most anxious milestones for parents. Glad your ride will be a smooth one.

Anonymous said...

congrats to the family. Education is probably one of the most important things there is in life. We're happy for ya!