Friday, August 24, 2007

Nature Chronicles by an Urban Girl

It was a fine afternoon for a leisure canoe ride. We suited the children in life jackets, grabbed the paddles and set off.

I was admiring my Opi Dutch Tulip pedicure when disaster struck.

A tree frog landed on my foot.

Knowing that I did not want to upset the girls, tip the canoe or pass on a fear of amphibians, I willed myself to remain calm. The feeling of the slimy frog on my skin was beyond my tolerance level. I screamed out "GO AWAY! GET THE HELL OFF OF ME!"

My husband piped up from the rear, "I can't do anything for you."

In a disgusted tone I lashed back, "Not you. The frog!"

Unfortunately I am not fluent in the language of frogs or maybe he was attracted to my Dutch Tulip toes. The canoe ride was abruptly called off. We headed for the shore.

Colin did damage control showing the girls not to be afraid of the little froggy. Strawberry asked, "Mommy do you think he's ug-gah lee?"

No sweetie. Frogs are our friends.

19 Singing the blues:

karengreeners said...

I think you handled yourself very well. And your toes look lovely indeed. If you had been wading in the water, I'm sure you would have gotten lots of little nips from style-appreciating fish.

Anonymous said...

I love the look on Strawberry's face when the frog jumps away. She looks unconvinced that he's harmless.

Anonymous said...

OMG! That made my toes curl. Not fond of amphibians here, either! But great photos and toes :)

kittenpie said...

WEll, I can understand that frog. I am also a big fan of nice polish. And you, of course!

Me, I was a kid who picked up bugs and frogs, so it's really just spiders and millipedes that bother me. The other night, though, I was in your spot as a spider ran along the edge of the outside dining table and pumpkinpie freaked, while I (outwardly calm) told her it was no problem and flicked it to the ground. Inwardly? Quailing. And goosebumpy. Blech.

Anonymous said...

A frog. No problem. A snake? That's another story.

Of course, if he landed on your foot maybe you could've given him a good swift kick out into the water?

But if I tried that I would have probably smashed him on the boat side. I'm clumsy that way.

niloc said...

It's funny that L.A.Daddy should mention snakes. The following weekend up at the cottage there was a gardner snake that was about 18 inches long. I've never seen one by the lake like that before and I wanted to show the girls that there is no real reason to fear it. Well that went out the window as Strawberry jumped into my arms and everyone else moved out of the way.
Poor little guy had a hard time finding an escape route. I think he was more frightened than everyone else.

Anonymous said...

This cracks me up more than you can imagine because Dave is like, DEATHLY afraid of frogs and there are tons around here. A few weeks ago he was out re-staking the swingset and he called me out from the house to scare away the frog that was about, oh, six feet from him. So out I go with the flashlight and I nearly laid down and died laughing when I discovered what he was squealing about wasn't a frog but was, in fact, a walnut shell.

Gabriella said...

If it was me for sure that canoe would've tipped over. Frogs, for whatever reason, bother me. Don't know why. But at least the kids aren't scared ;)

Kyla said...

Hahaha. Yes, Mommy was screaming because the frog was so ug-gah lee.

EUC said...

Strawberry's face is priceless, and I used to win frog catching contests at girl guide camp. (but I'll pretend it was a cockroach and be suitably horrified)

Jenifer said...

I totally would have freaked out and tipped the boat over... props to you!

moplans said...

Way to hold it together Jana. These photos are priceles.
Your girls, and your toes, are very cute.

Anonymous said...

aaaaand, that is why I stay inside.

Tania said...

Funny stuff.

motherbumper said...

You know my family would be soaked, right? Well done.

It definitely was the Dutch Tulip toes.

Anonymous said...

lol reminds me of my reaction to bugs, then I tell Becca to be brave :)

The Domesticator said...

First of all, OPI Dutch Tulips is my favorite shade eva! :)

I give you lots of props for keeping it together when the frog landed on your foot. If it were a spider on me? I would have leaped overboard! *LOL*

NotSoSage said...

Well, I'm convinced. :)

crazymumma said...

aw. i love froggies.

your toes are cute.