Thursday, December 20, 2007

High Strung Cheer

It's not the Christmas lights that are high strung upon the roof. No that would refer to me. I am frazzled and dazed as one of the most anticipated times of the year zooms full on at warped speed.

There is so much to do and not enough time to do it. I don’t want to rush through the motions. My lofty goal was to enjoy the season and create some lasting memories. I took the girls to Casa Loma to decorate gingerbread houses. I was flustered, unable to successfully manage the craft with both Strawberry and Buttercup. I am sure they lined their tummies with a thin layer of decorating glue. Thankfully Kittenpie had come along and helped me immensely with an extra shirt for Buttercup after she some how managed to spill her juice on her shoulder. Kittenpie also brought some of her beautiful puppets to entertain our girls as we waited in line to watch a performance of A Christmas Carol.

How could I possibly be creating new rituals and lasting memories when I am barely able to hold it together. When we left, a chunk of my poof ball hair got caught in the car door and the strap of my purse was wrapped in my scarf. I struggled not to throw myself into a snow bank with the gusto of a toddler's tantrum.

On Tuesday, we went to Strawberry's first school Christmas concert. The Kindergarten performances turned me into an emotional basket case. It took every ounce of personal strength not to let tears of joy stream down my cheeks. Buttercup did burst into tears as soon as intermission began. I think she may have been upset that she did not get a chance to go on stage to sing songs.

With only five more sleeps until the big day, we have yet to get a tree. The shopping is not nearly finished. Only half the usual number of cards were mailed. Packages have to be shipped. Songs will be sung. Gifts will be wrapped. I imagine many cups of cheer will be sipped so that I can remember to relax, breathe and enjoy the happiness that is buried under the stress.

10 Singing the blues:

motherbumper said...

I got stressed reading this. Enjoy SBB because you have spread more Christmas cheer than anyone else I know. Take time for yourself b/c you deserve it.

EUC said...

Yikes! It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job to me - taking them gingerbread decorating at casaloma would be awesome and I've always wanted to see a Christmas carol. I think as adults we're entitled to one tantrum a week, and you've more than earned yours. Christmas trees get cheaper as the season progresses anyway and I have no doubt your girls will have tons of happy memories. :)

Tania said...

Nog-tinis seem to be the "in" cup of cheer this year. Wish I could have one with you.

Kyla said...

I hope you find some still and quiet time to enjoy your girls without the hustle and bustle.

Kindergarten programs get me, too. Every time.

5 sleeps! Wow. It seems to be coming on so fast this year.

metro mama said...

The concert sounds heavenly. I too, am running behind. I didn't get any cards sent. sigh.

Run ANC said...

I'm stressed too, and can't seem to accomplish anything substantial.

Amy Urquhart said...

The Muppet Family Christmas makes me cry...I can only imagine being a mom and watching my kids on stage! It'll all come together, you're a great mom and your kids will have a great time on Christmas morning.

Don Mills Diva said...

It sounds like you're doing fine. It just wouldn't be Christmas without the stress would it?

kittenpie said...

Oh honey, you are doing great. we had a lovely time with you guys, and I know at least one other blogger who has been carrying on about how sweet, how generous, how together you are. I hope you can take a little break to unwind and feel like you are enjoying it, too! You most certainly have earned it.

(And gah, those Christmas concerts are DESIGNED for tear-jerking, I'm certain. If I wasn't laughing so hard and being mortified at the belly being bared onstage i would have been teary at ours, too!)

moplans said...

I admire you for venturing out trying to make memories in the christmas rush.
your girls will certainly remember.
Now I am all guilt ridden as my girl is obsessed with Casa Loma and I had just noticed the info on those events posted at the nursery school.
Maybe next year?