Saturday, March 29, 2008

Hey, who turned out the lights?

On Thursday, Strawberry came home from school visibly upset.

"Mom, Mom. One of the big kids told us that all the polar bears are going to DIE."

We sat down and talked about how the earth was getting warmer which causes the ice at the Arctic to melt. I told her that the polar bears need ice or else they get really, really, super tired from swimming because they are trying to find some ice to rest on. It is getting hard for the polar bears to find ice when it is melting away. I went on to explain that one of the things that help to stop this is by being careful with how we use electricity.

We talked about Earth Hour and how everyone today at 8 P.M. is turning out their lights to make a big difference. Of course if we really want to help save the polar bears, we always have to make sure that we don't leave lights on in rooms when we don't need them.

Since then she's been running around the house making sure that everything is turned off. Forever more we will be sitting in the dark with just the glow from the television because obviously the polar bears want us to be watching TV.

9 Singing the blues:

kittenpie said...

We could use her at our house, because right now it's my job to turn lights off behind everybody. Going to try to get Pumpkinpie in bed before 8 so we can join this. I'm hoping my street will be really dark, so we can get a neat picture of it. Does usign a battery-opeated camera count as not using electricity? Hm...

Run ANC said...

Your last line made me smile.

petite gourmand said...

we turned off everything last night and kept them off for the rest of the evening.
It was so nice just sitting and talking over candle-light.
no tv. no music. no computers. just us.
most romantic night in a long while.
I loved earth day!

naturebunny said...

Oh my gosh.. that made me giggle. She's so cute. I hope everyone in her generation will grow up with that kind of concern for the environment!! :D That's awesome. (this is Amanda by the way.)

Kyla said...

Adorable. Kids need TV like polar bears need ice. ;)

mamatulip said...

Yes, of course! Polar bears love TV. Treehouse especially. ;)

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

Holy crap. I think I left the lights on in my house this morning and now I feel really, really guilty about the bears.

karengreeners said...

I love your little eco-warrior.

crazymumma said...

thats what we did that nite. the glow of the tv.