Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March Bender

I had every intention of blogging through SXSW this year but then I decided not to take my computer with me. Miraculously I survived almost five whole days without the internet. Withdrawal from not being attached to my email plenty of free drinks left me woozy but my time was packed full of fine fun.

Texas was blazing hot! Let me tell you that rock and roll marinated in booze, BBQ and heat does not smell so pretty. However there really is no other place in the world like Austin during SXSW. The sounds of guitars come at you from every direction. The energy is dynamic. Scheduling which bands that I wanted to see was trickery particularly on the Friday evening.

I made a last minute attempt to connect my newly upgraded cell phone into Twitter but success was not mine. Instead I text messaged Colin. I think he enjoyed playing secretary by recording my updates. (Thanks Hun!) Like the time that I went to The Velveeta Room to hear a singer songwriter from Vancouver and who ended up at our table but Elijah Wood! He has very stunning, pretty features. He seemed spectacularly sweet, taking time to pose for photos with numerous women. If you'd like my take on the music from the festival check out Pop Rocks.

The icing on the cake was when I enjoyed dining on Mexican food with honest to goodness, divine Texans, Kyla and Julie and another Canadian gal NotSoSage! I was full of beans and over the moon. Put a few bloggers around a table and you have the most stimulating conversation on a whole slew of subjects from politics to celebrities and everything in-between.

This past weekend I got to share some imported beverages with Metro Mama and our spouses before we spent an evening with the Foo Fighters. Not only are they one of the best bands in the universe, but Dave Grohl is a witty genius. The last time that I had the pleasure of having a conversation with Dave was back in 1999, but I think we were meant to be best friends.

Other than all the music, drinks and sweet blogger merriment that has filled my days, I also joined in on concocting ways to have more, more, more... Two brilliant friends and I opened some wine and shared laughter while we thought of a way that will make a weekend in July the ticket to so many smiles that I anticipate the possibility of a few new wrinkles from incredible happiness.

Blog Friends Fest

That is the kind of glow that you don't want to wipe away with botox. Blog Friends Fest is open to all, plus smiles are free so please say that you are in!

7 Singing the blues:

metro mama said...

The Foos were awesome, weren't they!

Great picture of Dave!

kittenpie said...

I am SO in!
Sounds like a great time adn I must say, I'm turning green with envy, Blue. I hope we won't clash when next we see each other!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Let me get this straight, you were in the same room with Dave Grohl? Close enough to touch him? I'm dying over here.

nonlineargirl said...

Now I'm singing the blues, seeing as how you'll be way across the continent at Niagra this summer. Not only did I give blogher my $ already, but I imagine from Oregon a ticket to Buffalo or the area ain't cheap. Such is life.

NotSoSage said...

It was, in all serious, a total treat to see a familiar face in Austin.

And you got to chat with Dave Grohl? I constantly have celebrity dreams (most often musicians) in which I have this instant connection with them and become their best friend. I guess that makes up for the fact that I don't really follow much of that stuff in my waking hours.

Jenny, the Bloggess said...

So jealous. 4 of my favorite people and I was sitting home.

Next time I'm totally going.

Don Mills Diva said...

Sounds like you are having a great time these days. I am sorry I will miss all of you in Niagara - BlogHer is not going to be the same without all the cool Canucks!