Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Toddler wisdom

Recently I exaggerated that Strawberry is potty trained. She's approaching three and we're getting there. When daycare called to find out when they can expect her return, I kind of implied that she's doing a little better in this department then she is. Now we are in full gear training. We read books about it. We chat about it. We do the party potty dance. We reward occasionally with Smarties. (Canadian M&M's. I like M&M's better but kids love Smarties)

Today we discussed where everybody goes. Our cat Monty goes downstairs to make peepee in his box. Mommy, Daddy and Strawberry go upstairs to the toilet. Buttercup goes in her diaper because she's little. Then she asked me where do the fish go? I told her they go in the tank.
She quickly shared her wisdom. "No mom. Fishes don't make pee because they don't have bums." She said it with such authority that I totally believe her.

It bothers me to no end to hear people discuss potty training at six months old. These people feel it is completely possible for an infant to be fully trained. Buttercup just learned to sit. I would literally have to feed her while she sat half naked on a potty if I was insane enough to think about starting now. I'm not and I wouldn't. Diapers are not that bad to deal with.


2 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

a) M&Ms have a better-quality candy shell than Smarties do. I wonder why I didn't realize that when I was a kid, either!

b) I hear you on the whole "potty-trained at six months" thing. I can't entirely dismiss it because because I'm the product of early training, but there's something about sticking a kid on a potty who isn't even able to locomote to the potty on their accord that makes me think that it's the parents who are being trained. And then it's not quite the same accomplishment.

*Tanyetta* said...

your babies are cute cute cute. strawberry and buttercup. cool names. i wish i was creative to come up with a cool name for my son. Oh and ummm....Thank you for stopping by my blog. I love new visitors hope you'll come back. i'm not always in a pissy mood as in my last post. LOL

p.s. potty training at six months old? huh? what? did I miss something. i don't want to know. LOL