Sunday, April 16, 2006

Build me up

I'm saving my not-so-religious post for another time, as today held more significance for us. It has been nine months since Buttercup made her forced appearance into the world. Obviously that is not her actual name as we are not super famous celebrities. Instead that is one of the affectionate names that we refer to our second daughter.

So this belongs to Buttercup...

I can't believe how fast the last nine months have flown by. They went so much quicker than the nine months it took for you to be ready for this adventure we call life. We had been told that you were likely a girl but for some reason I kept thinking that you would be a boy. That was probably because I secretly hoped you were a girl all along. Your big sister always told me that there was a little sister in Mommy's tummy.

We went back and forth on your name. Your Daddy and I didn't decide until your fourth day, which was when we left the hospital. You'll be happy that we didn't take your big sister's advice or you'd be named after Dora's friend Isa the iguana.

You are such a good baby. You don't sleep much during the daytime but in the evening you regularly sleep through the night with only one 4 A.M. feeding. Then you just need your milk and usually do not even open your eyes.

You light up every time your big sister talks and sings to you. She likes to pat your head and squeeze you tight with big hugs. Now that you can sit, you are starting to play together. Although when anyone takes something out your hands you protest very loudly with "the world is coming to an end” crying.

You perfected the art of clapping at a very early age. Whenever you hear the word clap, you eagerly showoff your talent.

Three months ago you had already become a master of the jolly jumper. Often you will use both feet to gain great air in your joyful jumps. Whenever I call out your name you'll take another great leap and smile the biggest smile.

You enthusiastically feed yourself Cheerios but don't seem to be adventurous with trying new foods. Your little nose crinkles with disgust when I introduce a new taste. However you broke that rule today when we offered you a little piece of chocolate.

When you turned four months old, a horrible rash appeared. After several visits to the doctor it was determined that you have eczema. It took us well over a month to get it under control. I had never seen a baby itch. At times you still find it necessary to scratch your back and tummy, or nuzzle your face furiously into my shoulder.

I love to breathe you in. I will always remember that you were naturally baby powder scented.

I spend hours every day making you giggle. This is an easy thing to do. I can just look at you and you'll burst out with laughter. You are a very happy baby that is why you are so easy to love. Then again, you had our hearts from the moment we looked at you.

13 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

That was just beautiful.

That baby pic, wow, her face hasn't changed AT ALL!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I love newborn pictures! She even looks naturally baby powder-scented.
Happy 9 months, Buttercup!

Sandra said...

Your girls are so incredibly cute! "Happy 9 month birthday Buttercup - it sounds like you've got one awesome mom that adores you!"

The Domesticator said...

Beautiful post.

Marcie said...

I love those hands up by the head baby pictures. Precious baby, I can just smell the baby powder.

Stacy said...

she is absolutely precious!!!

mamatulip said...

After seeing that picture I'm going to sit here and look at my kiddos baby pictures and cry a bit.

So sweet.

MrsFortune said...

Build me up Buttercup is mine and my husband's song. Yay.

What a gorgeous girl! And good taste already - chocolate.

Bridgermama said...

Sniffle...My B is almost 9 months, I think you captured it beautifully! Hey maybe they could bet married? ;)

Heather said...

What cuties you have!

Mom101 said...

Nine months is such a special time. Almost more than one year, in my opinion. Nine months will always have meaning to mothers that non-mothers just can never really understand. Happy sixth trimester, Buttercup!

city dweller said...

It really does go by sooo fast,it's funny to think that its even hard for me to remember my boys at 9 months and they're 2 and 4! What a cutie!

Anonymous said...

awww how rime flies eh??
She is beautiful!!
Isa...lol if our daughter ever becomes a big sister...she will totally vote for that!