Sunday, April 02, 2006

Don't mess with my clock


There are some things that shouldn't be messed with, one of them being time. I hate springing forward. First off, Colin and I are night people. We are up to the wee hours every night. We naturally run late for most daily activities, especially eating meals and getting the children to bed. Throw in a time change and all hell breaks loose.

My internal clock takes a long time to adjust. Thank goodness I don't have to get up tomorrow morning to get the girls to day care and me to work on time because it just wouldn't happen. Oh maternity leave, how I love you.

Daylight Savings Time is not something that I am used to. I grew up in the only province in Canada that doesn't observe this strange practice. Yes, Saskatchewan (and Arizona in the U.S.) know what time it's at! As a child of the flatland, I knew twice a year that we had to adjust our regularly scheduled television shows by an hour. Maybe this is why I question the need for DST and resist this change so fervently.

Of course falling back is a little easier. My family almost starts functioning like the rest of society but within a couple days we are back to our tardy ways. What I hate about falling back is that you leave your office only to drive home in the moonlight. It feels like the day is over when all your leisure hours have just begun.

Plus, come on clock factories! It is 2006. Can't you build in a computer chip that recognizes time change and automatically updates every clock? And why do we need a dozen clocks in my house anyway? The purpose must be to make me anxious that I'm running late for everything.

I think I should move to Hawaii. Tropical destinations generally do not observe this wacky ritual since the sunshine hours are similar during every season. I'd throw a big party every time you are adjusting your clocks and routines. I'd pound back Mai Tai's, as we'd scoff at Benjamin Franklin's absurd notion to conserve energy and the benefits of daylight. His regulations to reform the Parisians prove that this was just a lapse in judgment.

12 Singing the blues:

The Domesticator said...

That is why I love the clock on my cable box and cell phone...no time adjustment needed. Twice a year, I have to get a ladder, pull a 30 pound large clock off the wall, and move that little dial...OOOoooo how I despise that!

Anonymous said...

Oh daylight savings. I was all excited about it until this morning. Ben is crying, MJ won't wake up. It was HORRIBLE. Hope they get used to the new schedule soon :(

IzzyMom said...

We're tardy, too. I always blame the baby.

Sandra said...

This morning was so painful. I hate "springing forward" with a vengence.

And I can't figure out how to change the clock on my car so all the way to school today my son kept arguing with me ... "mommy I don't want to go to school at 7:45. All my friends are still sleeping at 7:45. Why are you making me go to school at 7:45. No, its not 8:45. It is SEVEN 45. See it says it on the clock and mommy clocks don't lie." Oh yes they do.

Anonymous said...

I too dislike springing forward..having a toddler makes it so much more miserable!

Marcie said...

Damn, I need that hour! It's Monday morning and I'm still feeling off. Ugh! Hopefully in a couple of days I'll get with it.

nonlineargirl said...

I used to hate springing forward, but as Earlygirl's been rising at 5:30, the change means she's now down until 6:30! (at least until she figures out she's been fools, and reverts.)

MrsFortune said...

Hey, I don't mind springing forward, I like the extra daylight, but I'm all for moving to Hawaii, regardless of the excuse!

Anonymous said...

My only respite is that now my daughter is sleeping until 6:30am...

Bridgermama said...

I completely agree with you. It is only one hour, but for some reason it screws everything up!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I am loving the extra hour of sunlight, but its going to take me at least a week to get my body adjusted to the time shift.

Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

I'm in SK and I HATE that we don't do the time change thing - I HATE that it's pitch black at 7:00 pm in August. I HATE that tv shows begin at 6:00 pm - and I HATE that no one knows the time difference between us and the rest of the world.