Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lacking Bower Power

Being a mom I know how difficult it can be to squeeze in a shower. Well I have a confession to make. The last time I had a shower was on December 3, 2005. I bet you can smell me from your computer.

In November, I headed west with our girls to visit my family. Colin decided this was his golden opportunity to fix the leaky bathtub faucet. He had always hated our bathroom tile and this motivated him to tear it all out. Then out came the flooring, tub, sink and toilet. Finally goodbye walls. After three weeks without us, he had still not gotten around to reinstalling the necessary bathroom pieces. Of course, I hastily decided that we would extend our time out west. I couldn't help but tease him that Ty Pennington can tear down, rebuild and decorate an ENTIRE home in seven days... What the hell was going on with our tiny bathroom? I know that is hardly fair but I couldn't resist. Not to mention that was one of the more loving phone exchanges that happened during this period.

Living through renovations is dreadful. Colin's had little time to dedicate to the project that he insists on doing entirely himself. Four months with an open concept bathroom leaves absolutely no chance of having guests over. We finally have the exterior wall and door back up. Oh, I remember that word now... Privacy.

We don't have the floor down so Colin hasn't put in the sink. I hate brushing my teeth in the kitchen so I will blame him for my gingivitis.

Our new deep Jacuzzi tub is great for relaxing but impossible to lean over in order to bath an infant. Once again my back problems are his fault. I swear our new tub is defective. After one week, the stench from the jets is so powerful that I believe it would be wonderful to have Michael Jackson's nose. The recommended heavy duty cleaning procedure that, according to the manual is required every three months is a weekly occurrence. This is a serious pain. I'm at the point where I say throw the damn expensive tub out and get me a cheap ass one.

I dream of having a quick shower. This won't happen until the bathroom is completed. No tile equals no shower. At the rate we are going, my next shower will likely occur in 2011.

I never feel clean by bath alone. Remove mind from gutter. The theory of the good ole days was to shower (get rid of the grime), bath (relax) and shower (rinse clean). At the very least a bath consists of the bath/shower aka "bower."

Do all men procrastinate home renovations? Is my husband trying to torture me? For now, the closest I'll come to a real bathroom is viewing Scarbie doll's heavenly retreat.


Desperate for a pedicure. Oh and some walls would be nice.

11 Singing the blues:

mamatulip said...

Wow, big props to you, because I seriously don't think I could live through a reno. My husband and I reno'd my mom's house after she died and the only thing that kept us both sane was the fact that we weren't living there at the time. Hang in there girl...I hope it's done sooner than you're predicting.

And I totally know what you mean about baths. The house I grew up in (the house we reno'd) was built in the early 1900's and there was no shower. I didn't live in a house with a shower until I moved to college.

Anonymous said...

Just dream of it being done, and you will be clean in no time LOLOL!

Jennifer said...

Clearly, what you need to do is get Colin off on some vacation or business trip and rebuild the engine of the family car. It may take a while, because of course you want it to be done right, but the results will certainly be worth it.

Then watch your bathroom reappear.

Anonymous said...

ugh, I do not think I could ever let my husband renovate anything!! It would take way too long!! He is a perfectionist and too busy!!

Sandra said...

You are one understanding woman! I don't know if I have it in me to go through a renovation with my husband that would take away my shower. I hear you about the bath - not totally clean thing - especially since my son likes to jump in with me (lost my privacy 4 years ago and I do have walls) and well let's just say he's a pee-er. Yuck!

Hoping Ty will stop by for a visit and finish it up for ya soon :)

Stacy said...

Oh man, I don't want to hear this. I am getting ready to start renovations, or an addition, upstairs to add a bedroom for a baby who may, or may not, be in my future!!!

The Domesticator said...

You are going to be that happiest woman in the world once it's done!
My friend's husband always did renovations himself. She lived 10 years with NO cabinet doors on her kitchen cabinets....with 3 small kids...under the age of 5...can you imagine!? I used to tell her, if it were me, I'd wait til he had a business trip and then hire someone to come in and finish the job....she did, 11 years later. You have a little more time! :)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I won't let my husband do anymore major home improvements. I asked him to remodel our guest bathroom before Chicky Baby was born. She'll be one next week and its still not finished. At least its not the one we use everyday... You are one patient woman! I think your husband should get you an appointment for that pedicure you want to make it up to you.

Blue Fairy said...

Do all men procrastinate renovations....

let's see...
toilet in main kitchen/living/dining room : check
sink and door: nope

flooring installed in entire house: check
skirting boards: nope

sink in main bathroom: check
pedestal: nope

you see where this is going...

hang in there!

ms blue said...

Thanks to everyone for the support.

J's mommy - It sounds like we will likely be sending you Big Congratulations soon! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

Ah, man, that tub photo brought back memories.

Specifically, every night of my childhood, until fifth grade, when we finally got a shower. I grew up in renovations. My parents bought their house thirty-five years ago, and they still haven't finished their five-year plan to finish the house.

So don't worry, I'll never think you're the smelly girl for taking baths.

On the other hand, I don't know if you'll find my story all that reassuring...