Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Peeling a layer of an onion

I've purposely avoided talking about my career within my blog. It has been fairly easy while being on maternity leave but that is soon coming to an end. My career is a huge part of who I am and I feel like I'm being secretive about myself by not dishing out any clues as to how I earn a living.

I know that in .2 seconds anyone who wants to find me could use the almighty google and my identity would be exposed. By just mentioning the overall industry, I'm a little too easy to find. But my job is a driving force of what makes me tick and it has always been my passion. I don't work to live. I live to work so it's only fair that I divulge this dirty little secret.

Like the advertising industry, it is very fickle with regular lay offs. People shuffle around hoping the next company will appreciate their creative efforts.

Competition is fierce. Companies merge and downsize. Every job is fought over like we are pirates dueling for the treasure.

It's very much still a boys club. Only women with serious balls climb to high spots on the corporate ladder. It is acceptable for business to be done in strip clubs.

There are too many Fakers. They think they are all that, as they flutter around a room giving out air kisses. Too much importance is thrust upon remaining young and attractive in order to earn the respect of our peers. We all lie about our age and are in search of cool clothes.

Office hours are a little more flexible as we are required to be out many evenings until 2 A.M. Parties are a plenty. Drinking is mandatory. We keep bars open with massive tabs being racked up every night of the week.

There are way too many people within my industry cheating on their significant others. It is also very incestuous with many couples finding true love within this same profession.

It's an industry raging against the Internet. Realizing they are fighting a losing battle, they have begun to embrace it much too late in the game.

So do you have any guesses? Think Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll. I feel pretty lucky to make my living in the music industry. That is pretty much all I can write since I have signed my confidentiality agreement in blood. But so far, no pacts with the Devil.

15 Singing the blues:

Stacy said...

aww man - can't you give just a little more?!?!?!?

The Domesticator said...

Wow...you've peaked my interest...Radio? Broadcasting? Public Relations?

ms blue said...

Record label whore. It's a lot of fun and some of my best friends rock.

Anonymous said...

WOWOWOWOWOW! I really wish you could say more. (email me!)

Amy said...

It sounds cool! I agree, it's hard/risky to talk about work very much on one's blog. How soon is maternity leave over?

Oh, and you're tagged. Please don't hate me!

Sandra said...

Ohhh that's fun. I can see how that would be hard to keep under wraps but also how small/incestuous that industry is. Cool. Very cool. Sounds like you enjoy it too you record label whore you :)

mamatulip said...

I knew you were cool.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh, man! I knew I liked you for a reason (besides all of your blog posts that I've read). I must know more!!

Yeah, I'm not too nosey.

Sorry, I tagged you as well. I hadn't realized that Mrs. Davis got to you first.

Her Bad Mother said...

Any career that requires heavy drinking can't be all bad. That said, I am on record as havign said that motherhood requires heavy drinking, so maybe that's a wash...

The Husband's in television/film. It all sounds very familiar. My world, the world of the university, is terminally uncool. Between the two of us it balances out.

IzzyMom said...

Sounds like a fun job! But I totally dig the confidentiality thing. I never talk much about my job, either.

ms blue said...

Oh I think it may sound cooler than it is. Even when I describe it so brutally.

Mrs. Davis - I still have two months of baby time.

2badladies - A close friend of mine is a Professor and I have total admiration for his career.

MrsFortune said...

Woot! You are a whore! Hey, I used to be worse - I worked for a promoter! How much do I love you? Yes, and it was THAT promoter, the one that I have no idea what they want to be known as now, but when I first went to work for them they were called one thing, then another, then another, then CLEAR CHANNEL and now I got no clue. I bet we know some of the same people!

Anonymous said...

Can you get me front row tickets, autographed t-shirts, a sit down with Tony M? I'll be your bff? :)

Actually, I'm in the music "area" myself - slightly different end, that is...

My interest is piqued, however...

Mom101 said...

Wow I thought you WERE describing the advertising industry. I mean, all of it, including the rage against the internet, although ad people tend to rage more against Tivo these days.

You (and I both) are really lucky. Whatever ups and downs your career may have, there are plenty of days you can glance at a coworker from across a margarita, or a soundboard or a groupie backstage and say, "cool. We get paid to do this."

scarbie doll said...

I was going to say TV whore. Sounds a lot like what I used to do in the name of "the corporation"

We probably know a lot of the same people. I'm glad it's quieter where I am now. Book signings only go to 9 pm or so, so you don't have to care for kids with a hangover.