Friday, May 19, 2006

Birthday Boy!

Here it is the May long weekend! It symbolizes that summer is upon us, as many Canadians go straight to the beer store to stock up for their first cottage or camping trip of the season.

Today is husband's big day! He thinks that Strawberry steals his thunder because she'll turn three on Sunday. I think it's sweet that she will always look forward to her dad's birthday knowing that hers soon follows.

It is hard to arrange a party for either of them as everyone is planning their great escape of the city. Instead we will fill the house with balloons, eat a large Care Bear chocolate Birthday cake, say hi to the animals at the Zoo and maybe we will get to see Over the Hedge. Those activities are more geared toward a three year old but Colin is still a child at heart. Thirty-seven going on thirteen.

However my mom is arriving for her annual visit, which means that the house will be spick and span. It also means that we will be able to sneak away for some couple time and maybe even get together with friends in a non-family environment.

It is also guaranteed that there will be fireworks to celebrate their birthdays and Queen Victoria's. That is pretty spectacular!

20 Singing the blues:

The Domesticator said...

Happy Birthday to your hubby and Little Strawberry! An escape from the city sounds oooo so nice. You know, my birthday is the day after my dad's. Someday the two of them will find that heartwarming, as we do.
Hey, so a visit from Mom, huh? THAT"S why you posted about housecleaning on that meme the other day! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sweetie!!! Have a great May long! It is so weird being in California and not celebrating May long!!! (from Canada...so missing it...loving swimming in April outside!)

You will have to review the movie!!!

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday to your man! He shares the day with my father-in-law, but I like your birthday plans better. My FIL will probably choose to spend the time playing poker in a game I couldn't afford the minimum bets on, let alone the raises. But Happy B-Day to them both!

Marcie said...

Happy Birthday to your guy and little girl. Cute picture of them both. Promise not to clean too much and enjoy the birthday weekend!

Heather Bea said...

Happy Birthday to the husband and Strawberry. I hope they both have a great time. I personally love kids' movies and going to the zoo so that sounds like a perfect way to spend the weekend.

nonlineargirl said...

Happy birthday to them! Have a good weekend - this May long is new to me, I grew up too far south to know the Canadian holidays. Sounds like a good excuse to start the summer relaxing!

Anonymous said...

ohhhh, godddd. non-parent time? the envy is palpable, but I am still super-happy for you, regardless. :)

p.s. hope the dual birthday scene goes well - can you believe you've had your girly for three whole years? congratulations to *you* for making it this far with your sanity intact.

Anonymous said...

I stupidly planned our almost 5 year old's party for this weekend. 4 kids can come. I'm actually surprised there will be that many!

Have a great May 2-4 Weekend!

mamatulip said...

Happy Birthday to the hubby...he's nice lookin', girl!

ms blue said...

Wahoo the cleaning ladies (yes I required two) just left. Everyone can come over for cocktails now!

Pattie - I'd love to go up North. We'll make a few trips later in the summer. My mom is an obsessive neat freak so I had a lot of clutter to clear out this week.

Chelle - But you get Memorial Day the following weekend so it's all good. I'll let you know if we see the film. I'm sure it'll be fun.

Andrea - Actually I love poker but I'm not into gambling. As long as you don't count buying lottery tickets.

Marcie - I hate cleaning with a passion. You'll never have to worry about that!

Heather - Hopefully our weather will get better. It's been nothing but dreary. I'm looking forward to getting out.

NLG - I always know about the United States Stat holidays because then it's a slower day in the office.

Lildb - The three years have zoomed by, but I don't know if I still have any sanity left.

Chantal - Hope your 5 year old has an amazing birthday. 4 guests are plenty!

Mama Tulip - Thanks! I like him. That photo was taken December 2004. He has much shorter hair now. He got the Daddy cut. LOL

Her Bad Mother said...

Strawberry shares my birthday! Lovely!

Hope everybody has a happy one!

Anonymous said...

Happy bday hubby and little lady!

We just had a bunch of fireworks go off and we were trying to figure out why...I wonder if it's any way related to your long weekend. I don't recall the US celebrating it, or Baltimore at least, before but not sure why else they would have fireworks right now!

Enjoy your fun filled weekend!

noncommon said...

happy birthday to all! your hubby looks pretty cute with the longer hair!

Cristina said...

Have a great birthday week! The couple time sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I would be cautious if you ever encouraged him to grow it out again. I'm sure the "Daddy cut" is cute as well.

I see your little girl must get her beautiful red hair from your side of the family.

Happy Birthday everyone!

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday to Colin and Strawberry! Hope you had a great May 2-4 weekend :)

Anonymous said...

How's your wee one? Feverish still? I hope you manage to stay well, at least. Hang in there.

Gah. Sick babies are so. not. part. of what I was planning in my giant fantasy of the lovely dream that was supposed to be this mothering gig.

Hug for you.

MrsFortune said...

Why do you cannucks always get everything before we do? victoria day ... um, isn't there another one? Hope you enjoyed (are enjoying?) the weekend!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

"37 going on 13"? Aren't they all, honey, aren't they all.

I hope your weekend and all the birthday festivities went wonderfully. Happy belated b-day to your husband and Strawberry!

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday to your husband and your little girl. Let us know how the movie is. I am interested in taking my daughter too, but she's never been the movies yet!