Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Broh-ca-lie, Broccoli

Every night I ask myself what shall I make for supper. I have to take into consideration the following things.
1) What am I in the mood for?
2) Is it suitable for my children to eat? As in, is it nutritious and not too spicy? Can I mash bits up for my ten month old?
3) Will my husband willingly eat it?

I always thought it would be dreamy to find a man that cooks. Colin has his specialties, Mac and cheese, scrambled eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches and he's also mean with the barbeque. We are way too friendly with our regular take out restaurants. If we don't order Chinese food for a couple weeks, the owner starts to worry about us.

However, my husband is not adventurous with his taste buds. Every single work day, for as long as I've known him, he has a banana and a muffin with orange juice for breakfast. He takes a peanut butter sandwich and another container of orange juice for his morning break. Then for lunch it's a ham and cheese sandwich with a coke. Every. Single. Day.

That would drive me crazy. If I dare pack my lunch because I'm trying to save some money for something better than the boring food options around my office, I dread having to eat what I've brought. I will put off eating until I'm famished and then reluctantly devour my planned serving.


The way that men are preoccupied with sex, I’m constantly thinking about food. Yet I do go for long periods of time without eating, especially when I'm busy. I put it off until I can find the time to enjoy my calories.

I'd like to be able to try some new recipes that I've discovered but if it has any ingredient that Colin deems "salad food" then he will not eat it. That eliminates meals with tomatoes, cucumbers, spinach and mushrooms. I can certainly forget about including tofu in my stir-fry’s.

I do give Colin quite a bit of credit because he has expanded his narrow intake since I've met him. If not the man would have turned into a gigantic pepperoni and cheese pizza. He wouldn't eat many of the things that he now does. There was a time that he was hesitant to go to a restaurant that he had never been to before. It was cute the way that he'd ask me what he would like from the menu. He has come to trust me in his food choices and I have only abused this power on the rare occasion, like when I told him that edamame were peas.

Thank goodness children tend to follow the same eating habits as their same sex parent. If that is the case then our girls will have an open mind towards trying new delicacies. More importantly they won't eat all their vegetables, then their starch, followed by the meat on their plate. That ritual of Colin's drives me around the bend. No matter how many times I tell him that his method of eating is not normal and that I've chosen the items because the tastes compliment each other, he will not change. I've learned not to watch him eat.

Strawberry went through a phase that she only wanted to eat things that were green. Broccoli was her favourite food. Now she doesn't have a lot of time for sitting down to eat but we still manage to coax her to devour her meals. Buttercup on the other hand has turned her nose up at everything that we introduced her to except for pasta. She definitely prefers real food to baby food.

I find that I make the same meals over and over. I hate being bored with food. It's time to spice things up and bring some excitement back to the kitchen table. I better go rummage around the cupboards to find something for dinner.

16 Singing the blues:

Amy said...

We have this disagreement around here, too, but I am the less adventurous eater (mushrooms, tomatoes, beans, and mustard are just a few of the things I avoid/refuse). It frustrates the hell out of my husband. But it frustrates me that he often declares a ban on red meat (sometimes lasting several months, or until his fear of Mad Cow has passed), and he has always balked at meat loaf or any kind of casserole.

mamatulip said...

I always get bored with what I cook. I find that I fall into the "meat, vegetable and starch" pattern. I'm always looking for new recipes to make, even though my husband and daughter are very picky eaters. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

My husband grew up in a house where he had meat and potatoes every night. He had a frozen lasagna for lunch every day. He said his Mom was the World's Best Cook when I met him. She certainly had the pot roast market cornered. Before we met he had never eaten a chicken wing, a taco or anything curried. Sooner or later he realized that this is how I cooked and he started to expand ever so slowly. Now he'll try anything once and usually likes it.

Maybe you can find meals that easily allow for him to remove something for him before you add spices? Like make roasted chicken and rice and then make it butter chicken or curried chicken for you and Indian rice? Or spaghetti sauce then turned into chili? I often did that for the kids when they were smaller and couldn't handle spicier foods.

I had bologna every day for 13 years in school. If I even smell it now I want to hurl. LOL

Anonymous said...

I have two words for you...FOOD TV!

Cristina said...

I have a hard time thinking up things to cook too. At least 2-3x a week we end up with pasta. I just do a different sauce so it SEEMS like I'm being different.

Anyway, I second Rhonda. Food Network has some good shows and a website!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I grew up in one of those families too, but thanks to my husband I am no longer a picky eater. Our daughter, on the other hand, is a different story. I'm desperately hoping that she grows out of this picky phase before enters the teen years.

Lena said...

Oh my God. You are living my life. Just today I was confronting? teasing? my husband about the fact that he eats nothing but things wrapped in a tortilla.

He THINKS he's eating different things. Beans sometimes come out of the can at home, other times from Baja Fresh. Sometimes its a frozen burrito. Sometimes it's tortilla CHIPS and bean DIP. Always the same ingredients.

So funny.

My daughter too adors broccoli. Must have been all the veggies I hate while pregnant. Shyeah, right.

Lena said...

I mean the veggies I ATE while pregnant.

I'm tired. }:\

nonlineargirl said...

I never thought about it like sex, but I too think about my next meal WAY in advance. Really it was one of the best parts of being pregnant and nursing - more meals!

Anonymous said...

Cooking is so such a bog challenge for me. I am so dedicated to trying to make sure my family eats well, however our meals have gotten drag too! I switched to a more organic grocery store and started getting creative! It is fun to cook again!

Mom101 said...

I must admit I'm a little more like your husband. I go through phases where I eat the same breakfast for a month, then switch. Why fight a good thing?

noncommon said...

oh, food. why is it such a pain in the ass? seriously. my kids are so damn difficult when it comes to this topic. and sometimes it seems there is nothing new, and nothing sounds appetizing. except chocolate cake. that always sounds good.

Chicky said...

Our go-to dinner is marinated chicken (teriyaki, salsa, italian dressing) on a baked potato. I layer veggies under the chicken, put cheese on top, or ranch dressing, and depending on the combo, ends up being a pretty healthy meal. We do a lot of grilled chicken in different marinades, veggies, and rice or potatoes, or salad. Sometimes it seems like every night tho! But it's easy.Big plus in my book!

Sandra said...

I am a boring cook ... actually cooking is not my fortay. But thinking about other people cooking ... now I am good at that.

My hubby is a great cook but he's seriously into seafood and I am allergic so I usually resort to the easy fast standbys :(

Stacy said...

I am so like your husband. I have eaten the same breakfast every day since I gave birth to my daughter, which was almost three years ago. I am so bad at trying new things and I hate going to new restaurants because I think they won't have anything I like. I guess it must suck for my hubby.

Shan said...

I used to have the same problem until I signed up to receive Kraft's free magazine What's Cooking. They send out about 5 magazines per year. All quick and easy recipes. You can sign up for it at www.kraftcanada.com.

I actually do I what's cooking Wednesday post every week over on my blog.