Wednesday, May 10, 2006

In the land of temptation

My claim to fame used to be that I was the girl in Grade Two that could hold the V sit the longest. I had abs that every seven year old girl was envious of. Okay I gave absolutely no thought to stomach muscles until much later.

Now I find myself tugging at my shirts, wishing that they were just a little longer. I picture strangers running, screaming in the opposite direction if they accidentally caught a glimpse of my muffin top. It's a scene from a cheesy horror film Night of the Living Double C-section Tummy.

So when I discovered the latest Friday Challenge over at Martinis for Milk, I knew it was time for me to take action. My plan of attack is to replace sugary beverages with boring water. Stop eating after 9 P.M. Increase my fiber intake because it would be a healthy thing to do. Avoid treats. Accelerate my heartbeat with some (do I dare use the E word? Okay just this once...) exercise.

First off I needed to find my scale. I haven't weighed myself for at least seven months. As with most women, the scale is not my best friend. We don't see eye to eye. He often lies to me and calls me nasty names while I stand naked on him begging for a lower number.

It was a scary moment of truth as I stepped on. I stepped off and back on again. Could it be? It wasn't as bad as I had prepared myself for. Whew! It seems that my weight has just redistributed itself in new pockets of undesirable curves. Ten pounds less then my current number will bring about a number that I might be able to say out loud. Of course I mean when no one else is in the room.

We live a hop, skip and a jump from a grocery store so I will almost daily stroll over to pick up a couple items. With my new agenda in mind, I set about trying to get only a couple necessities. In order to get milk, I had to pass muffins, cookies, pies, tarts, cheesecakes and brownies. So far so good.

Strawberry then sees the birthday cakes. As her special day is almost upon us, we had to pay them a visit. She excitedly pointed to the colourful, delectable frosty icings. I spy Mother's Day cupcakes calling out to me, "You deserve me! Take me home." Back off pink cupcakes. I'm not going to buy you for myself. You'll have to wait for another mom to consume your empty calories.

I zoom towards the checkout line. I'll just pick up some frozen juice. That's where the Dufflet desserts were hanging out. My mouth was beyond watering. I had to get out of there fast. I was doing so great that I thought I deserved a treat. I shielded myself from visions of other scrumptious sweets, snatched up an expensive salad and zipped through the express checkout lane. Victory is mine!

So I was eating my wilted lettuce and surfing my favourite blogs only to discover chocolate is trying to hunt me down. I must not give in. I repeated this a gazillion times, chanting away the deep craving. Summer is coming and I've agreed to do this Friday challenge. However challenging this one may be.

12 Singing the blues:

Sandra said...

You are funny. Sorry to add to the temptation with my chocolate stalking.

But man you got me back with the Dufflet's link. LOVE THEM! Seriously. Almost as much as the pastry chef that lives in my basement ... now that kills any girls diet attempts.

Good for you doing the Friday Challenge. I threw out my scale about year ago ... they just aren't friendly :)

mamatulip said...

You can do it!

You know what my big weakness is? Laura Secord chocolate. *drools*

The Domesticator said...

Good for you! What a test of will power...if that cupcake taunted me, I might have given in...

Anonymous said...

Oh dieting is SO hard. I need to lose more than 10 lbs. I would be happy with 30! I may join Curves this month.

You can do it!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Bathing suit season is almost upon us. I guess I'll have to skip those Mother's Day cupcakes too. Damn!

Need a weight loss buddy? :)

Andrea said...

I feel your pain. I've been working out and eating better (mostly) every day for the past two months. All I've lost? A measly 13 pounds. Ugh. It's so hard to stay focused (as I sip on my diet coke) when there's all kinds of treats just begging to be eaten. I don't even own a scale, though my work has a workout facility in back and there's one there. One of the kind they have in doctor's offices, so hopefully they're the kind that don't lie.

You can do it! I know you can. Your plan sounds good, and if you can stick with it for it to become a habit, it's not so hard then. And indulge every once in awhile. I know if I don't have a little forbidden treat (key word little) now and then, I'm liable to totally go off and eat a whole dessert table at a restaurant.

Marcie said...

Good job on the willpower. Just remember don't always deny yourself. A cupcake once in a while makes life worth living.

nonlineargirl said...

I am fairly anti-diet (I tend to be good for a few days, then blow it because I feel I've "earned" a treat), but I do try to avoid sugary drinks. If you are into those and cut them out, that is a great change. My husband and I are addicted to seltzer water, I buy cases and cases - gives me the fizzy goodness of soda, but it is just water. Yum with lemon or lime squeezed in, or with a bit of juice added sometimes.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

I am working on the old body. It is really hard not to succumb to temptation, I am told it gets easier, however I am not sure when!!

Best of luck!

Cristina said...

ooh this would be hard for me too, but I wish you the best. One trick I use when I go shopping is to eat right before I go and then chew some gum. Somehow, it makes me less tempted to buy sweets and stuff.

Bridgermama said...

Good Luck! I try and try again and always fall off the wagon. I blame the bakery right down the street! I tried running last week f#*ked up my knee, so I guess i am destined to be a hunka-hunka-jiggly-love.

Blue Fairy said...

south beach diet. very effective. and you can have chocolate.(a little)