Sunday, May 14, 2006

Now With Instant Cool Burst Sensation

I started writing some thoughts and posting pictures of my children for friends and family last September. It was a time in my life that I was going though some new challenges and it helped put things into perspective but mainly it offered a diversion. It reminded me how much I need to have a creative outlet. I felt excited and rejuvenated. My words were brief paragraphs skimming over the surface of topics such as Canadian politics (yawn), the Olympics, carrots and of course our girls.

In February, my real life friend Jennifer, who has an amazing food blog and will soon have a sweet baby, wrote about BlogHer. From there I found myself discovering mommy blogs. I was so lucky that the very first one that I stumbled upon was Mrs. Chicky's. She is my Dooce. I was completely hooked and so began my lurking phase. Her brave words inspired me to try this on for size. I had some aversion to journaling online but as long as I called it blogging, I was ok with it. I know... crazy rationalizing! Mrs. Chicky's brilliant words made me aspire to be able to write more comprehensively and I hoped that occasionally my sense of humor would sparkle. At least I was now able to comment on the heartwarming and hilarious stories that are plentiful in cyberspace.

It didn't take me long to discover the incredible women you will find on my Visiting list. Each and every one of them is cool in their own right. They all share the fact that they are exceptionally gifted writers. Their stories often make me laugh out loud and occasionally they move me to tears. They share their lives and I've begun to think of them as my Snuffleupagus friends. I can't seem to have a conversation without bringing one of their stories up. Thank goodness, Colin shares a lot of my daily reading and he knows the cast of characters.

I was walking by the Grassroots store, which is the home of WonderBaby’s infamous Mutha Sucka T-Shirt, and of course my thoughts immediately went to Her Bad Mother and her quest to have MC Hammer comment on her blog. When Colin got home from work the other day I had to share the story about Kristen's daughter's hairy leg. Of course, we also discussed Izzy's new product sample. We giggled about Rhonda's famous family member. I have to point out that Colin didn't giggle like a schoolgirl, it was much more of a manly man giggle.

Then there are the likeminded Portland mama's that make me think it would be magnificent to move to the good 'ole US of A. This is a thought that I had never before entertained, especially with your current administration.

There are some amazing women that always seem to make me feel fantastic. Marcie, Pattie and Sandra; I cherish your support and always find myself eagerly awaiting your next post.


Being a mother means that there are not enough hours in the day. Being a mom that blogs means that somehow you will make it through all twenty-four of them.

Happy Mother's Day!

17 Singing the blues:

Sandra said...

Happy Mother's Day to you my friend!! You have made my day ... again.

I loved your line: "Being a mother means that there are not enough hours in the day. Being a mom that blogs means that somehow you will make it through all twenty-four of them." I think I might have to print that one out and post it over my desk.

Hope you enjoy your day with your beautiful Strawberry and adorable Buttercup!

Anonymous said...

Have a Wonderful Mother's Day!

nonlineargirl said...

Thank you for including me. You are an important part of my daily routine (and my husband's - he hears the updates too).

Portland isn't really the USA. We are an odd little outcropping miles from the border. I'm glad we Portlanders have made it look like a welcoming place for you. (now maybe I'll get that check from the tourism dept.)

Her Bad Mother said...

Snuffleupagus friends! Exactly! Brilliant!

Such a great post! (Can you tell from my exuberant use of exclamation marks?) And so honoured to be included. Because? Likewise.

Anonymous said...

Oh Happy Happy Mother's Day to you!!

The Domesticator said...

Aww... Jana..shucks! Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to your posts, too...everyday! ;-)

Mom101 said...

And the prize for best use of Snuffleupagus in a post goes to...

ms blue said...

Well except that you are all MUCH more attractive.

Marcie said...

I was thinking about doing a post about the first blogs I started reading. They were the infertile blogs. Even though I was not infertile their honesty and humor made their blogs very interesting to read. From then on I found my way through the internet maze of blogs. It wasn't till a few months ago I found the whole Momma posse of blogs. It's been really fun finding like minded women and you are one of the coolest. Thanks for the shout out:)

Anonymous said...

happy mother's day, doll! hope it was superb. I'm so tired but I had to holla back. xoxo

p.s. I had no idea that all those bloggirls were in my lil town (and still wouldn't if you hadn't shared). awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

You know, our current government isn't necessarily much better. I say, move on down to Portland! At least they have a chance for a more liberal change in the next few years. I think Harper's here for a while.

ms blue said...

Chantal - Oh how I agree.

Lildb - I didn't know that you are located there too! Wow what the heck is in your water? I'm packing my bags.

To everyone here - You are wonderful. I couldn't last for a day without paying you a visit.

Anonymous said...

Great post. It does help get us through the day, doesn't it?

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Aw, wow... I'm blushing. Seriously. I'm on the phone with my sister (as we speak - she thinks I'm listening to her. Ha!) and I mentioned that someone thinks I'm "brilliant" and "brave". She scoffed. That's what sisters are for right? They keep your feet planted firmly on the ground. If she wouldn't have laughed at me I'd be floating all over the house because of your kind words.

And I love you even more for mentioning Snufflelupagus - my very favorite Sesame Street character EVER.

Much love to you lady. Hope your Mama's Day was wonderful.

Heather Bea said...

Thanks for mentioning me! Portland really is a great little place to live. You see bumper stickers here that say "keep Portland wierd". That just makes me love it more. I have thought more than a few times about moving to Canada to get away from our wonderful administration.

Dr. Lakshmi Rathna Marakani said...

Thank you, that was just an awesome post!!!

Penile Implant Surgery in India said...

That is great to hear, thank you for reading!