Saturday, June 17, 2006

Dangerous downtown living

Last night, while I slept, our house was broken into. Colin had gone upstairs and returned to the kitchen where he had left the sliding door open to cool off the house. This is where he ran into a team of masked bandits looting our kitchen. Being brave, he took on all of them. It was one super hero against seven intruders. Six of them scurried out the door but a little one jumped into the bottom of the stroller. With a little persuasion, victory was Colin's.

The bad guys were a hungry family of racoons. It was like a scene from Over the Hedge. They were boldly getting revenge. Earlier Colin had sprayed them with water when he saw them sneak into our yard.

My mom had warned us that animal life would jump at the chance of getting a free meal. Yes mom, you were right and I expect you to say "I told you so" in our next conversation. I guess we are lucky that it wasn't a skunk or even worse a real criminal. Tonight the AC is turned on and all windows are closed.

On a happier note, Leith, the beautiful son to Jennifer and S, joined them early on June 5th. Jennifer is recovering from post complications of her delivery and is still in the hospital. Feel free to send them some good vibes and wishes at her delicious food blog that is now featuring pictures of their delectable new baby.

14 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

hehe I was all concerned and worried reading the first part of your post then laughed to discover it was only raccoons!! I hope they did not do too much damage!

Stephanie said...

I would have died if there were a bunch of racoons in my kitchen! Glad to hear that you have the AC cranking now!

The Domesticator said...

You really had me going there...I was stunned, until I read they were racoons! Thankfully..*chuckle*

I guess they were seeking a bit of revenge for the water incident, huh? :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD, I totally thought you were being SERIOUS. LOL. Well, sorry about the racoons, but I'm glad it was just racoons.

kittenpie said...

yeah, you scared the crap out of me too with the first part of that. that is NOT FAIR! But it happened to our neighbours last summer and that man went full-on Christopher Walken PSYCHO in the middle of the night. I said to Msterpie, "Pumpkinpie is NEVER going to their house." ut I have had to chase my fair share off our deck upstairs and I think have finally - finally! - won back my territory from the beasts.

Her Bad Mother said...

Been there. But with skunks.

Debbie said...

holy masked monsters! initially, your wording led me to believe it was a break-in with mean dudes and weapons. so relieved to discover that your intruders were furry and small. *phew*

is your husband alright after his brave performance? you must be so. very. proud.

:)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Hubby to the rescue! I know I would have freaked out if I saw a family of (seven!) racoons in my house. But c'mon... a small racoon in a stroller. How cute does that sound?

But its probably not cute when its in your own house, huh?

Glad everything worked out for the best and I hope they only got the really old leftovers that nobody eats anyway.

Sandra said...

I made my husband read this immediately! We have a family of 6 raccoons living under our deck (maybe they took a tour to your hood for a visit) - and he is always leaving the door open. The racoons rule the roost in so many parts of TO but I have never had one INSIDE before. Hats off to Colin for saving the day :)

Cristina said...

Oh my gosh, you totally freaked me out. When I read your first line, I thought you had been robbed for real--glad it was just racoons, though I'm sure they were not welcome either!

Mom101 said...

Geez, you scared me there too for a minute. Well racoons aren't great but better than mice. at least the racoons won't make a home in your never-used stove so that when you preheat the oven to bake a pie on thanksgiving, you end up filling the house with toxic mouse-turd smoke.

Ew. I know.

Anonymous said...

You had me until you said they "scurried" out...lol. Great story! Glad they weren't real burglars :)

carrie said...

I was worried for a minute, until the lightbulb went on and I ralized that you were speaking of raccoons!! They are so stinkin' clever and crafty. We have some that like to play on the playset in the backyard, which totally grosses me out since they carry such horrible diseases! Anyway, good luck in the raccoon repelling, and don't forget to close those doors at night! Damn wildlife!

Carrie

Stacy said...

damn raccoons! hey, at least you don't have bats. Yup, up in the eaves of my house live yucky, squirmy bats and I can hear them in there when I pee at night. they make these squeaky noises. uuuhhhh it makes my skin crawl. we had a pest control guy come over for an estimate to get those suckers out. guess how much they want? $$$$950 I guess I should get used to them!