Monday, June 12, 2006

Rinse, Lather, Repeat

I'm oh so tired.

It was 6:00 AM when I was forced awake in order to get to work for 9:30. I'm much more of a hit the snooze button three times, get ready in fifteen minutes and race myself to work kind of girl. I'm not sure if dragging my sorry butt out of bed to get two wee ones to daycare is something that I'm cut out for. Especially when Buttercup looks at me with her big blue eyes crying out "How dare you leave me here with these complete strangers? How can you do this to me? Don't you love me mama?" Insert her tears and wails. I desperately try hard not to think. Just drive. There was so much morning traffic scurrying to their destinations that we collectively got to sit at green lights. Green means GO people! Drive your car like you own it.

The day flew by in a wink. I got to read eleven months worth of e-mails. My inbox was almost two thirds full of offers of sexual aid, medicine and mortgage deals. Office chitchat and a couple meetings helped fill the day. I even managed to process a half a dozen statements. Well they were all teeny tiny but seriously it is a miracle that I can even remember the insane number of daily passwords required to do business.

In no time I found myself fighting my way back home in rush hour traffic. Could I have five minutes to sit down and squeeze in some daily blogs? No, must make supper for the family. I just want to eat jellybeans and veg out. Do banana jellybeans count as a nutritious meal? Hmmm... no, I guess not. Baby might choke. Shovel food into three mouths. Notice that most of Buttercup's potatoes and broccoli are on the floor. Give the babes a bath. Type this while cheering for the Edmonton Oilers. Strawberry taught me a new song that she either made up or learned today. Oops, now she's asleep. Carry her upstairs. Clean up kitchen. I should really do a load of laundry if I could muster up the energy. I'm still desperate to read my favourite blogs, but my eyes need toothpicks to hold them open.

Now I get to repeat this routine. Did I mention that I'm not good with the humdrum of the daily life? It's like pushing a button that makes me zoom into automatic overdrive. There is almost no thought to it. However I do hear cries of protest coming from every direction. Is that the baby or my inner voice? Too. Tired. To. Think.

12 Singing the blues:

nonlineargirl said...

I am exhausted just reading that. You know how when you have a new baby people always tell you "it gets easier"? I hope the same is true of going back to work.

noncommon said...

aughhhhhhhhhhhhh!

carrie said...

Coffee? Latte? Do you have a Starbucks? If not, you need one soon!! I hope it gets better for you and you can return to using toothpicks for what they're intended instead of eye-openers! :)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Oh, wow. I have no experience with this so I can't offer advice. But my sympathetic ear is yours when you need to bitch. You've got a lot on your plate, better pull out that superwoman cape!

And I agree with carriebrett - Coffee! Its good for what ails ya.

Her Bad Mother said...

What nonlineargirl said - I have sympathy exhaustion just reading this! So - coffee, coffee, coffee. Then, end of day, long hot bath and poison of choice after ferocious snuggles with girls. And then - turn to us for bloggy sympathy and virtual hugs and foot rubs.

Anonymous said...

The hum drum sounds painful. I so hope you can find a way to make it fun or at least bearable.

Cristina said...

Oh my do I HEAR ya on this. I think you just described my typical day except with one child instead of three!

Lena said...

I don't know about you, but a day that includes sexual aid and meds is a GOOD DAY around here.

Sandra said...

Oh man ... the title of your post was the perfect description of how I feel about work post children. I am tired after reading your post. I hope you'll get into a groove soon and find enough energy to enjoy both your cool job and your even cooler family.

Sending a virtual martini your way..

Debbie said...

good for you for just making it through that day.

it must've been a total blur.

*hugs J, hands her a Big Gulp container filled with a nice white*

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, you need a cocktail.

Stacy said...

Working sucks! Maybe you could sneak a flask filled with some nice red wine to work!