Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Coo Chi Ching

Just an hour and half away from the downtown hustle and bustle sits a tranquil retreat. It has a run down, tiny shack in need of more than a little TLC but it is a glorious spot in the world. It belongs to the in-laws. They have long ago stopped making the trek so the next generation is sharing in this slice of heaven.

It has been countless moons ago that we stopped hosting drunken debauchery weekends mainly due to the fact that our friends no longer relish in daring each other to strip down and run around the cottage. We reserve naked time to toddlers. However being the only ones with children, we always try to find out if Colin's siblings will be inviting their uninhibited friends for some rowdiness.

Since Strawberry's arrival we have reserved our handful of visits to daytrips. A little
blog inspiration from Chelle and we decided the time was right to attempt surviving a night in a tent. I was wary but the girls were so excited it turned out to be more fun than I could have imagined. Fresh air goes a long way in magically turning children into sleeping beauties. The weather on the other hand should have been warmer. The nippiness of fall is in the air. It inspires late afternoon, sweater wearing walks but wait! I'm not ready to say goodbye to summer. I have new, end of season discount bathing suits to put to good use.

We watched a rousing rendition of
West Side Story acted out by the ducks and the seagulls. We were rooting for the ducks. Buttercup tried to sip my Coronas while Strawberry zoomed around entertaining herself with sticks, frogs and bubbles. We took the girls for a boat ride that lulled them both to sleep as we slowly put putted around the lake.

It would have been nice to be spotting a few new freckles but instead I only have ankle mosquito bites. If you would like a visual recap, check out these photos.

13 Singing the blues:

metro mama said...

Sounds (and looks) heavenly.

I love cottaging. The days of running naked around the cottage were fun but now i'm looking forward to the kind of weekend you just described.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Sounds wonderful. Except for the no sun/cool temperatures part. That's kind of a bummer. I loved the pictures! I just can't get over your eldest daughter's hair. It's so gorgeous.

The Domesticator said...

I love the pictures!Especially the one titled "Play With ME"...very precious.

Andrea said...

Lots of rejuvenating going on in the blogosphere lately. I'm glad to see you got in your share. And tenting with kids is the best! My sister and I did it when we were young, but I can't get my husband to understand the virtues of a tent versus a camper. Still, fresh air is fresh air (and I have to say when it's hot in the summer, having air conditioning to sleep in is heaven).

Anonymous said...

Wow. You slept in a tent with your kids and survived...this gives me hope. :)

kittenpie said...

wow, so nice! In a few years...

Debbie said...

a) "airplane food" is one of the best pictures I've ever seen. Ever.

b) what a lovely, idyllic place to spend time. you luckies.

c) I'm inspired to go camping. also, scared shitless. but, inspired, nevertheless.

xoxo

Heather said...

What a fantastic grin on your little one!

Her Bad Mother said...

SO lovely. Beautiful photos. Sigh.

Sandra said...

Fabulous photos and fabulous inspired outing!

Cristina said...

You've inspired me to go camping! It sounds like a great family vacation--despite the mosquitos!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great time. Your girls are so photogenic!

J and I have never been much on the camping, but we've recently been talking about getting a tent and trying the "roughing it" thing. You've inspired me to make it happen -- thanks! :-)

Nabeel said...

awww such a happy cute photo .. great smile .. a happy and fun smile :)