Friday, August 25, 2006

Oh, Look Out You Rock n Rollers

Maybe you're a little like me. You see something new and you think I've got to get that! So when you see a chance to make Blogger better, you say it's about time. With a blink of a click, you have Blogger in Beta.

Don't do it! Not yet! The bugs haven't been worked out. Now I will suffer through them because I'm an eager beaver. For example, today I went to comment on a site that only accepts comments from fellow bloggers. Guess what? I can no longer comment on those sites. This is bad. Very bad. I'm an outcast blogger.

Things look a little different. For a while it was insisting that I have my full name in my profile. (Ah gee why not my home phone number and bra size too?) I can no longer have my real first name and a display name.


I now get to sign in using my Gmail account. This also means that all your comments now end up in one thread within my e-mail account and I cannot see what your e-mail address is even if you've made that available.

It promises to be better, offering organizational tools and customized layouts. For now I just want the kinks worked out. You might find me off in a corner madly spraying Raid! I hope this is not what forces me to jump off this boat. Sink or swim baby. Sink or swim!

15 Singing the blues:

metro mama said...

Thanks for the warning! I was seriously tempted to switch over.

Sandra said...

Spray the raid baby. Spray the raid.

That sounds sucky.

Thanks for the warning.

nonlineargirl said...

Will it let you indicate categories for posts, like typepad does? That would appeal, but maybe in any case I will wait a bit...

Mom101 said...

Praise be the guinea pigs like you, sparing the rest of us from the beta kinks. Oy.

Awesome Mom said...

I wish I had read this before switching. Sigh, I was tempted by the shiny newness of the beta blogger.

The Domesticator said...

I heard somewhere on another blog that Beta was going to be the wave of the future, and soon all of Blogger would be converted. YIKES! Guess I better get myself some Raid, too :)

ms blue said...

Metro Mama, SS and Mom101 - it's nice to know that my public service announcement has saved a few.

Nora - Yes this is a new feature but you can only access it if you update your template. In doing so you will lose many of the changes you previously made to your template.

Awesome Mom - It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.

Pattie - I think it will be good eventually. Change can be difficult especially with bugs!

Anonymous said...

Beta testing is always rough, however it is the only way for a program as large as blogger to work out the bugs.

Hang in there and report everything!!! Then the engineers can get it all fixed!

Debbie said...

well I'm just grateful that you haven't deserted b/c of the kinks. (Ray Davies would be so relieved. *wink*)

xoxo

Ruth Dynamite said...

Thanks for the heads-up!

Cristina said...

I had never heard of it, but thanks for the warning!

I am hoping to move to Word Press at some point. Blogger is yucky.

Oh, and HAD I read about the beta thing, I totally would have done it cuz I'm like you....have to try the new stuff. Thanks for looking out for the rest of us!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I want to play with it too! I love programs in beta. I'm a geek like that.

Shan said...

Thanks for the warning. I was seriously considering switching last night. I was saved by a sick and cranky baby and saved again by your post. I'll wait until the kinks are worked out.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I was this close to trying but thankfully I have a healthy distrust of all things blogger. Sorry you had to fall under the bus to save us all.

Christina said...

Oh, thank you for the warning! I saw that link to the Beta and was very tempted to switch over.

Maybe I should just give up on Blogger and go to Wordpress?