Friday, October 13, 2006

We get around

Breaking news... My almost fifteen month old baby has learned to crawl! We lovingly refer to her as Scooch being that she has relied on a frog like bum maneuver to get around. She has perfected this unique move and goes quickly from room to room. Who needs to crawl or walk when you can sit and move? However she will now attempt to not do a face plant if you ask her to crawl. I call it On Demand Crawling. I would even share a photo if my floors were clean.

Strawberry needed some indoor shoes for school and the teachers requested that they have Velcro so off we went to the store for a little shoe shopping! The first challenge was that they be character free. Husband had decided that her little feet need not be an advertisement for another children's television show.

Then we had to find the right size. Of course Strawberry decides that she doesn't like the only pair that fits. The smart cookie resolves that she will pretend that she can't walk in them so that we don't buy them. She stands up, wobbles and falls to the ground. For added effect she continues on repeating this drama. I look around desperate to find another pair that will work. Nada. Nothing. Instead I decide that two can play her game. I pick up the undesired pair of shoes and point out the hearts on the bottom. I tell her that they will make the coolest footprints and I tell her, with extreme enthusiasm, that they are there to bring balance. These magical hearts will help her stand up when she's wearing them. I make them the best thing since sliced bread. (Can you imagine sandwiches before sliced bread?)

Success was mine! She got these shoes and she loves them now. Whatever will I do when she outgrows them and demands that her next pair have hearts on the soles?

20 Singing the blues:

karengreeners said...

bumblebee did the butt scoot for ages. we called her doug (as in, henning, the yogic flyer).
and i must say, strawberry sounds like a genius! i may try that the next time the huz thinks i don't need real leather.

motherbumper said...

Hurray for striving to keep Strawberry advertisment-free (dang, it's hard isn't it?). Wonderful reverse psychology, Mom (smart lady but I already knew that).

And "On Demand Crawling" - you need to trademark that one because it's hilarious!

metro mama said...

Cakes and I both need to go winter boot shopping. *sigh*

Sandra said...

Yay for buttercup!

And what a clever mama you are. I must remember these tricks for our impending shoe shopping trip!

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about how unfortunate the time will be when our kids wise up to our amazing tricks and trickery!

Great job making the sneakers happen!

Cool beans on the crawling, our toddler never really was into it either!

kittenpie said...

Smart mommy!

I am fighting the Battle of the Coats right now. Every season. Last spring, she didn't want to give up the parka for a hoodie, now she won't just take this warm coat stuff lying down. Argh.

Anonymous said...

"On-deand crawling"

You crack me up!

Awesome Mom said...

Evan did the butt scoot and still does now and then even though he is a great walker. Harry crawls but will not put one of his knees to the ground so his left leg is always sticking out. Kids are so odd lol

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the crawling! Lock the cabinets - it's all over from here.

Can I be a shameless self-promoter for a moment? Toooooons of cool shoe ideas over at Cool Mom Picks. All of them guaranteed 100% character free!m

Anonymous said...

Way to outsmart your kid! :)

And I'd totally do the same thing, I'd never walk if I could remain sitting and actually get somewhere.

Christina said...

Nice use of reverse psychology! I'll have to remember that down the line, when Cordy starts to resist the stuff I buy for her.

And congrats on the crawling!

Cristina said...

yay! Congrats on the crawling! And on the shoe shopping trip. I love hearing stories of mamas outwitting their toddlers (it's so rare, you know?) Good job, SB!!

Her Bad Mother said...

The butt-scooch was pretty cute, but I imagine that the new crawling moves are even cuter.

And - good trick on the shoes. I'd like a pair of shoes that magically improved my balance, especially after a few drinks.

Kristin said...

I know this shoe battle... it is why my daughter is wearing hot pink cowboy boots... sneakers? what are they? :-)

Christina_the_wench said...

Thanks for stopping by my place today.

I have two daughters who I would rather get a root canal by an alley dentist then go shoe shopping with them.

Jodi @ blog-o-licious said...

You are so smart. Good job.

Unknown said...

It's amazing sometimes the little things we can say that will convince them to agree to something, isn't it?

11111111 said...

In response to a comment you made over at Bub and Pie's:
I love your fly theory in regards to men. To further prove your theory I've had to explain to various men that women have ulterior motives on many occasions. Said men didn't even recognize the classic touch a desired man's elbow to signal interest. What is basic human language is given no thought to some men.

Well, maybe you should read this:
http://denguy.blogspot.com/2006/09/lifes-intimacies.html

Some of us are in tune.

Anonymous said...

Crawling!!! That's great!

And creative parenting, love it.

petite gourmand said...

yay cawling!!
lulu now reminds me to put on her "ooes" or "ooots"
the kid already has a shoe shopping addiction at 17 months...sheesh.