Friday, November 24, 2006

Magic Disappearing Ink

Earlier today I did my first guest blog post! Sandra with all her graciousness and writing talent easily reels us in with her Flashback Fridays. I have all new respect for her after attempting to write about one occasion.

I found that trying to recount an event from my past to be extremely difficult. I've analyzed that my life may not be filled with moving stories worthwhile of sharing. Plus all the pages in my mind seem to be fading fast. I picture the faint ink shaped with the big loops of my childhood handwriting disappearing. I feel like I should be writing them down before my memory goes blank, leaving me with empty chapters. The only thing I will be able to do is fill them with new events in my life.

The brain is a funny thing. I wonder if we have a capacity limit on memories? I may only have 30 GB while others are blessed with 60. Is there an expiration date when our most cherished memories get zonked? Poof! Gone...

Am I eating the right foods so that I'll be able to remember my wedding day and the birth of my children well into my senior years? Will a daily vitamin help me restore these files? Everyone knows we are searching for the magic pill to make us younger, slimmer, smarter and more popular.

Already events that I've held onto, that have shaped me, appear to be fuzzy and blurred. I question if I recall them correctly or if I've manipulated the moment in my mind.

Photos can help us visualize and capture time. I can put today in my back pocket. Videos take it a step further but we still are missing the scent in the air. But words, glorious words, can fill a page. If we pick the right ones, everything should come flooding back.

Suddenly my words have found more importance to me in the great scheme of life.

6 Singing the blues:

Norma said...

I use my blog to catch some memories before they are gone. Also, use old letters, either copies, or the originals.

kittenpie said...

If it's any consolation, apparently short-term memory goes first...

metro mama said...

I'm glad my blog will capture these memories.

ewe are here said...

Sometimes I suspect I'm 'wasting' my available memory space on trivial crap like song lyrics, trivia....

Sigh.

One of the reasons I started blogging as well.

motherbumper said...

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the memories fading (and wondering about personal manipulation of fact). I'm so glad that I started the blog because I sense as the years speed up, the impressions aren't as lasting... gah!

Sandra said...

Thanks again for the perfectly perfect guest post. You rock.