Sunday, November 05, 2006

Why This Could Never Be A Food Blog

I'm feeling a wee bit under the weather. While I'm surprisingly not feeling like the martini truck has run me over, the never ending fight with the germs from daycare rages on. On days like these I need comfort food.

Super Cheesy, Really Easy, Baked Mac and Cheese

1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup
½ can Milk
1 teaspoon Prepared Mustard
a sprinkle of Pepper
2½ cups of hot cooked Macaroni (pictured above is Shells but we prefer Scoobi Do)
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
½ of a ham steak cubed (optional)
2 teaspoons Margarine or Butter, melted
1 tablespoon Dry Bread Crumbs

Cook your choice of Macaroni. In a casserole dish combine soup, milk, mustard and pepper. Stir in macaroni. Add in a portion of the shredded cheese and ham if you so desire. Combine melted margarine and bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casserole. Top with the remainder of the cheese. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes.

No gourmet delights are found here however this dish is one of my family's favourites. I feel better already.

Now to completely veer off topic. It seems this weekend that all the unfriendly dads have been running amuck. Today at the grocery store I had both girls in the shopping cart. We detoured for a pit stop to admire the lobsters and crabs. Strawberry is fascinated by them. A little boy ran up to check them out. Feeling friendly I half joked to his dad that this was the highlight of the shopping trip. He said nothing and gave me a dirty look and scurried his son off in the opposite direction. This was two for two in pissing off the stranger dads. Good thing I'm not a single mom!

10 Singing the blues:

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

*drool*

I think I know what we're having for dinner tonight.

kittenpie said...

Who could give *you* a dirty look?
He must have been in a hurry and not wanted his son to race off doing fun stuff.

motherbumper said...

Damn that looks good - I'm trying that one tomorrow night (already have the chicken defrosting for tonight - like anyone cares). Anyhow - we must share the same gene because I get dirty looks all the time (mostly from old folks but sometimes poppas too). Don't worry, I would never ever give you a dirty look - unless you stole my beer.

carrie said...

Dads are clueless when it comes to proper grocery store conversation!!! Pshaw!

That macaroni looks divine (I baked one last week - even took pictures in hopes of posting the recipe but haven't gotten around to it)!!!!

Excuse me while I clean the drool off my screen! :)

Carrie

ps. Your Halloween costume was awesome - girls pretty cute too!!!

moplans said...

This is my kind of food blog. I'll have to add your recipe to my rotation.
As for the dad - what a weirdo. My child just discovered the lobster tank on our last trip and for days after kept asking to go back to the store. It is the highlight of the trip.

Anonymous said...

i am starving!

Anonymous said...

MMm is there any greater comfort food than mac n cheese? When I get all fancy-pants I bake smoked provolone on top.

Also? No idea why Stranger Dad was crankypants. I guess some people lack social skills. Let's hope his kiddo doesn't suffer from the same awkwardness.

Tania said...

You have inspired me both to cook and to blog.

j.sterling said...

omfg that picture looks good. LOL
and i am laughing my ass off from your comment in my blog! lol

Sandra said...

That looks SOO good. Really. That is my kinda food blog!