Thursday, February 08, 2007

Deterioration of the Fast Lane

The ability to multitask is a valuable skill. It is essential to career advancement as is prioritizing. The classic image of a mother epitomizes multitasking as she looks after a cluster of children, folds laundry, talks on the phone, cooks supper, watches Oprah and eats bonbons all at the same time. Oh yes, mothers make it look it easy but don't be fooled. It is hard work.

We all have things that we find challenging. For some people just walking while chewing gum is detrimental. Personally I cannot successfully drive while holding a coffee. I admit it is worse than that as I cannot make it to my destination with a full cup of java placed in a cup holder for that matter. I recognize my weakness and send my husband out to get me coffee whenever necessary.

As more restraints get put upon on schedules, we find ourselves multitasking whenever possible. There are some of us who can efficiently apply makeup in the rear view mirror, nibble on a few bites of breakfast, make some important phone calls, flip through the radio dial, while running errands in our SUVs. Of course there are a few people that bring the rest of us down. On more than one occasion they rear-end a vehicle while chatting on their cell phone. Soon insurance companies, law enforcement, politicians and members of the general public who actively search out issues to get their knickers in a knot join together, all up in arms, calling for legislation to be passed. Ban cell phone usage in motor vehicles.

Then the iPod revolution began. After a few pedestrians got hit by cars while listening to music, those same non-lovers of the cell phone obsessed driver, jumped on the campaign for prohibiting crossing the street while using gadgets including an iPod, cell phone, Blackberry or video game. This will be as easily enforced as the law that declares no spanking children under the age of three. As a parent I don't agree with spanking but that is another topic.

People don't respond well to having others tell them how to make reasonable judgments. Rules are not the solution. We need to focus on our surroundings and slow down. We shouldn't hurry through this life, multitasking our lives away. There is something to be said for being really great at one thing even if that is just chewing gum.

10 Singing the blues:

motherbumper said...

I agree, it is not only a waste of time to create laws like this but I can't believe we need laws like this. Seriously, I don't think people should talk on their cells so much and everyone including my mom is hooked up to an iPod but saying people can't use these devices while walking across the street? That's a wee bit overboard. People can/should make these calls themselves.

Anonymous said...

ok I am all for protection laws ... but gosh that one is silly. I cannot imagine it being against the law to cross the street while listening to your ipod! Cell phones .... bah people use those way too much in my humble opinion ... but should there be a law?!?!?

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Personally, I can't chew gum and blink at the same time. Although, I will admit that I scan through my iPod while driving. But banning cell phones and iPods while in crosswalks? That's just seems silly to me.

Tania said...

I believe in laws that protect the safety the innocent, so I do agree that NO gadgets should be used while driving. Walking is fair game though.

kittenpie said...

God, how i wish for days on which I can focus on just one thing. This might be why I am so excited to start glass work again - I can't do anything else while cutting or grinding.

carrie said...

Excellent point! I think more than anything, if people would just use some common sense, things would be a lot better. Oh, that and put down the phone and drive!!!

Carrie

The Domesticator said...

It bugs me that the government wants to impart laws on things so silly. I mean, c'mon...people just need to use their common sense. And quite honestly, those who don't use their common sense and choose to do things that risk their safety just help thin out the population. *LOL*

Unknown said...

I agree- no one listens to the laws anyway. I actually saw a man READING THE PAPER while driving the other day.

mamatulip said...

Like the above commenter, I saw some guy reading a thick NOVEL while changing lanes the other day. He was literally looking at the highway, at his book, at the highway...creepy.

ewe are here said...

So many silly laws, so little time... I mean really. Like the police have nothing more serious to do than chase pedestrians around looking for headphones. Heck! If they want to zone out and get squashed by cars, let 'em!