Thursday, May 24, 2007

Soccer Monster

I might have mentioned this story to a few people on the weekend but nothing beats a full and complete confession that is written in a public forum.

For Strawberry's birthday we got her the Mini Dora Soccer Pop-up Goal. It's actually a pretty cool idea. It comes complete with ball, pump and of course the net. Everything is there to keep your child running around and busy right out of the box.

The night before I wanted to pump up the soccer ball and put it next to her so she saw it when she woke up. She's been raving about Soccer Monsters and her super soccer kick for a while now so I thought this was the perfect way to start her birthday.

The ball was this neat little yellow neoprene stitched thing that looked like a real soccer ball. The Dora and Boots decorated ball was Size 2 for little feet. It came with its own tiny pump and inflator needle. Yes, the ones you always lose and end up rummaging through the garage looking for. However I had a bigger pump that would take care of filling up the ball much faster. I did actually think about using the Air Compressor but thought that was overkill. So I pumped it up nice and firm and tucked it away for later.

The only problem was… Daddy over inflated it! The actual stitching and the neoprene ripped and the inner liner blew apart big enough to stick my foot into it. There goes half the present! I was actually ashamed to tell Jana but she just shrugged it off. What can you do? Hide the blown apart evidence and give the net to the girl and no ones’ the wiser.

Until this morning… I was confronted by Strawberry with the carcass of the Soccer Ball.

"Daddy… it blowed up!"

Does anyone know a good sports store that sells Size 2 Soccer balls? You know… for little feet. Otherwise Buttercup wants to use the net as a tent.

14 Singing the blues:

Sandra said...

poor blowed up ball :)

Anonymous said...

awww Of course it is the thought that counts ... It was a cute ball ... neat idea too!

motherbumper said...

Oh dude, it blowed up real good (how very Canadian of you).

I didn't even know that made soccer balls that small but maybe the evil overlords ToysRUs might carry them.

karengreeners said...

I'm so sorry that I'm laughing. No idea where to get a size 2 soccer ball, but I'm sure you're not the first dad to ever blowed one up.

kittenpie said...

Okay, the story's even better with the visual...

Misterpie used to air compressor to inflate my bicycle tires. I totally thought he was going to blow them up!

crazymumma said...

oh niloc....how could you?

moplans said...

That is the saddest picture.
poor ball.

metro mama said...

Oh no!

I will look at Value Village tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

That's so sad.

Our girls have small soccer balls -- size 2 or size 3, I think. I know Target sells them, but not sure if you would have access to a Target. You could try Amazon?

We got our girls one of those Little Tykes basketball hoops with a small-sized basketball for Easter. Two days later, the ball disappeared (I think my neighbor's dog got it, or else it blew away in a wind storm). I cannot find a replacement everywhere. :-(

Anonymous said...

lol...that's something I would do. Poor ball! Someone suggested Amazon. I bet they'll have whatever size you need.

Betsy Mae said...

aww, too bad!

Anonymous said...

Man, that sounds like something I would do... So much so that it makes me feel like apologizing to you.

I need therapy.

ewe are here said...

Oh dear.

At our end, daddy accidentally punctured MF's Miss Spider Ball a few days ago... I had to run out to buy him a new Thomas Tank Engine ball to make up for it.

Baby in the City said...

Well at least you got a good pic for the blog. Canadian Tire sells various size soccer balls. Not sure the one we bought there was a size two but it is a wee little thing.