Friday, August 31, 2007

Fair Time

Last year we had a perfect day at the Canadian National Exhibition. Our expectations were set high this year and we made plans to go on a weekday evening so that we would avoid the big crowds. Unfortunately we were fighting odds on a repeat performance because Colin and I were both in a cranky mood. It didn't help that after buying a Ride All Day Midway Pass for both our girls, we discovered that Buttercup did not make the height requirement by a couple inches. She was turned away from many rides but luckily not everyone took their jobs too seriously.

Strawberry wanted to try the squirt the water into the target game. I spied a cuddly polar bear that she could win. There was only one other racer so she had a fifty percent chance of winning. Strawberry won the first try but the race was called off because the other player switched seats in the middle of the game. It really looked like she won the second round by a smidgeon but the carnival worker declared the other person victorious. Strawberry was obviously confused and disappointed. Colin and I tried to hide the fact that we were bitter and angry.

On some rides Buttercup wore the look of fear but she always returned to us bubbling over with excitement.

We questioned her, "Were you scared?" With wide eyes she nodded, "Yah. Scared."

We ask her, "Was it fun?" Then she gave a gleeful shout, "YAH!" and chased her big sister to the next ride.

Even though we didn't have the sweetest time ever, it was still pretty good family fun.

Maybe next year we'll try Canada's Wonderland instead.

11 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Niagara Falls, NY. I miss the CNE. The last time I was there it was to see Neil Young; he had some new band called "Pearl Jam" opening for him. I had never heard of them, and I couldn't figure out why all these people were wearing plaid flannel in August.

kittenpie said...

Wow, you're a brave lady. The crowds freak me out a bit, so we'll be heading to Centre Island in the next few weeks, and the zoo after that before it gets too chill.

Kyla said...

Looks like fun was had by all. Your girls are so adorable!!

Tania said...

The Ex has a lot more atmosphere than Wonderland, but I have been to Wonderland 4 times now with my daughter (we have a season's pass), and she seems to love it. She isn't tall enough for all the rides in the kid's area, but there are enough to fill a few hours. The waterpark is a nice touch too.

BTW, your pics are great!

NotSoSage said...

Oh, wow...Brave, brave parents.

We've been counting our lucky stars that our kid is too young yet to be demanding a trip to the CNE. I am not a crowd person. It does look like fun, though...

moplans said...

Totally worth it for the adorable photos.

moplans said...

*snort* I was at that same concert with becki and was wondering who that main act was and why Pearl Jam was just opening the show.

Jenifer said...

OMG the bees.... not the bees!

My daughter just turned 3 and is still DEATHLy afraid of any and all rides. We tried the bees at our last fair and she was SCREAMING before they ever started, we had to get off before the guy started the ride!

Anonymous said...

This time of year always leaves me mourning the fact that I'm not in NY to attend the NY State Fair. I love the rides, exhibits, food -- I imagine the CNE is very much the same way (in fact, maybe we'll have to hit that one as well someday!)

Strawberry looks so big with her hair up like that. I almost didn't recognize her in that first picture.

Anonymous said...

Carnivals are so much fun. I remember being able to go on the rides over and over again. Now I just feel like throwing up after one spin!

Great photos!

crazymumma said...

We had so many problems with height issues for littlegirl at Ontario Place and the Ex. mr mumma took to stuffing socks between her shoe and her heel to give her the added inch she needed!