Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Extreme Parenting

I'm beginning to realize that this parenting gig is dangerous but that doesn't have me running scared. No, I'm one tough mother cookie so I can handle it. I wasn't too fearful of labor. I knew that it would be a painful moment in time that would eventually end. Period. Having an ending in sight allowed me to face the pain head on. I would make it through. I would come out the other side transformed into a mother with a sweet, cuddly infant. Little did I know that this was a drop in the bucket for future pain that would be inflicted on me. I've suffered from the tantrum flinging of the head backwards into my immediately swollen lip at least twice. Now Buttercup has taken the cake.

The girls were so happy to have me home this weekend. We were spending some quality time playing fort and having a giggle fest. As the girls are all about enforcing exclusivity, they were inside the fort and I was not allowed in. Every time I peaked in, they closed the blanket, shooing me out with their contagious laughter. It was all fun and games until Buttercup decided the best way to get rid of mom was with a headbutt. As in any accident, time has a way of switching to slow motion. Her affectionate smiling face inching closer. Smashing her cranium against me. Unable to move away, I feel the direct impact, hear the crack and I feel my nose being smushed rightward. My hands go towards the excruciating pain. Tears spring forth. The game is over. My nose is broken.

I didn't sign up for extreme parenting and now I am thinking my children are going to break me. It will be a good two weeks until the pain subsides but my nose will never be the same especially since this is technically the second time it has been broken. Hell, I don't even have a million dollar NHL contract. I'm rethinking this tough mother cookie business. I'm afraid.

On the upside I'll be able to use this against her when she's sixteen.

Since then I've been looking for non-violent activities to distract the girls. I've discovered that this video is even better than Treehouse. We parents have to bond together. If it works for me, it might work for you. One must have other options than a screaming Spanish girl that sings little ditties.

21 Singing the blues:

NotSoSage said...

Oh, your poor wee nose! That's terrible!

I have to say that I never really got the Feist thing until I saw this video a few weeks ago. I don't know why the video changed things for me. But I could totally see sharing it with my kid. If only to warn her that even the hottest bod can look less-than-optimal in a sparkly blue halter pant suit. Yikes.

b*babbler said...

Ouch! My eyes are watering just at the mere thought of your poor wee nose. I really think that having children is all about having our asses kicked. Repeatedly.

That Feist video is the best thing I've seen in awhile.

Kyla said...

Oh no! That smarts.

I love the Feist video. Very fun. Kicks Dora's ass. LOL!

EUC said...

I wouldn't expect your girls to have anything but awesome taste in music. Sorry too hear about the nose, and hope it heals quickly (and doesn't hurt too badly!)

Tania said...

Ouch! So sorry.

metro mama said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry. That's rough.

Gabriella said...

Ouch!

moplans said...

Jana you are one tough lady.
Ouch!

Anonymous said...

Oww! Sorry about you poor nose Jana. Cooper has head butted me more times than I would like to remember and I've suffered with the fat lips but never a broken nose! Hope it heals nicely.

For whatever reason Cooper doesen't like that Feist video. Not his taste in music but I like it.

crazymumma said...

I just had a flash of me in her pantsuit.

um. no.

your poor nose. Children can be brutal.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope you got a little gentle kiss on the nose later on.

I love this song...I always un-mute the iPod Nano commercial because it's featured.

karengreeners said...

oh ow! your poor shnozz. i'm guessing buttercup was just fine after this exchange - i believe mothers absorb ALL the pain. hope the throbbing goes away soon.

and i have been wathcing that video over and over lately. have you seen the making of it?

Christina said...

When my husband was a toddler, he broke his mother's nose doing something similar. He's just waiting for the moment when one of the girls will do the same to him as karmic revenge.

Hope your nose feels better soon!

kittenpie said...

OW! We've had our share of bashed lips, jarred jaws, and smashed noses, too, since Pumpkinpie has that nice habit of flinging herself backwards or standing up abruptly under my jaw. Gad. I've become a battered woman, and Misterpie is not the one inflicting the damage. But wow, an actual broken nose is quite the war wound. Feel better soon, mama!

Anonymous said...

Ouch. Double ouch.

You aren't alone in extreme parenting, my pretty.

Bug broke my nose and my glasses TWICE while he was alive.

Both times hurt like a sumofbeach.

We mothers should be outfitted with safety gear.

Happy healing.

Anonymous said...

egads that is terrible! OUCH~ In wrestling, goofing around and all out wars I am ALWAYS the one to get hurt, so I can relate!

Domestic Goddess said...

Oh Jana, I'm so sorry. That is horrible. But I agree, you have something to hold over her later. I'm waiting for the day I get payback from Leith in the form of hugs and snuggles and of course all the "I love yous" I can stand.

Oh and do all kids like Feist or just those born to mothers who worked in record stores way back when?

Anonymous said...

Ouch!!! Your poor nose!! My little one is big into the head butt, and the "thrust your body randomly backwards and hope someone catches you (or not) " thing. He's crazy. He's going to kill me.

I will try to stop the headbutting now.

And that video? I believe it was made with a running camera, no editing. But man, that jumpsuit? Ug!

Laura McIntyre said...

Ouch, being a mum is TOUGH

mamatulip said...

Oh my god, I feel for you. Oliver is (dare I say was? He hasn't done it in a while...) a head-butter and he's gotten me a few times in the face -- there was one time when I thought he'd broken my nose, and he's given me a fat lip and a split lip.

(((you)))

LOVE the video -- definitely not Lily Allen, eh? LOL!

Lady M said...

Ouch! Best wishes for quick healing.