Thursday, November 29, 2007

Holiday Style

I take great pleasure in the romance of Christmas. Decorating the tree, baking cookies, holiday parties, Christmas carols, family gatherings, greeting cards, wrapping presents, and on and on...

Another fun aspect to the season is dressing our daughters in holiday party outfits! During a recent trip to Costco, I came across some fancy dresses. I picked out two and held them up for Colin's approval. Immediately he refused. He hated them. Colin is one of those dads with a strong opinion on fashion. In one sense it is great because he has come home with some adorable clothing items for the girls but I still find it strange when he vetoes some of my picks.

He has decided that our daughters will not wear black, shiny dresses. I protested that this is typical holiday wear for toddlers. He feels that they look Italian. Well fashion guru husband, what do Scandinavian, Irish, Scottish, English, German, Polish, Ukrainian Canadians wear for the holidays? Italian fashion designers want to know.

10 Singing the blues:

niloc said...

It was black, shiny, metallic / possible car paint coloured dresses! You know... the ones with the heavy metal flake in them.

I don't think the ones you posted here are as bad as the ones in Costco. Maybe it was just the lighting.

Kyla said...

Married blog debates, gotta love it.

karengreeners said...

omg, i hear the exact same thing from chris. yes, he has good style, but sometimes he forgets that it's ok for a little girl just be a fancypants little girl. and whenever i ignore his vetos he has to admit that my choices are dang cute.

kittenpie said...

Those ARE really classic dresses you have posted, there. i do like something velvet-y and/or something with some holiday colours best. Last year we had a gorgy deep green velvet jumper with a white shirt. Her first year, we had a nice tartan jumper with a turtleneck. This year, I don't have an official holiday dress, but I do have a lovely deep purple corduroy with butterflies that she loves, and I also have a red corduroy jumper she could wear, or a navy pleated jumper. (Yes, I think jumpers are adorable on little girls!)

But really, with girls that beautiful, who cares what they wear?

Tania said...

What a thing to have to argue about! My guy can't even dress himself, so I don't have to fight him on our daughter's clothes.

motherbumper said...

Velvet is required. No seriously, what other time of year allows you the luxury of velvet - and black is a must! (says the Irish, English, Italian, Russian, Inuit Canadian blogger).

moplans said...

COSTCO are you kidding me!?!?!!?
those are fantastic.
I am the worst mom this year. mine will both be wearing pajamas.

Don Mills Diva said...

I think those dresses are beautiful. I hear ya on the arguments with your hubby. Mine is pretty damn stylish which is great but sometimes I think it would be easier if he just NEVER GAVE HIS OPINION!

b*babbler said...

Ah, the Christmas dress debate. Oddly, Mr Babbler has some strong opinions on Peanut's clothing. We settled on a grey moleskin jumper dress with a cute embroidered onesie this year.

Oh, and the faux patent-leather Mary Jane slippers. Just way too cute.

Beckys Bucketlist said...

I enjoyed reading thiss