Sunday, May 04, 2008

Two's a Charm

No one promised that having babies was easy. Well maybe Paris Hilton did but she has yet to become a parent and will have a team of nannies to correct her mistakes when the time comes so we cannot go by what Paris may or may not offer up.

I have luckily already gone through the sleepless part of two and I am thrilled to pieces that we may be on the verge of being completely out of diapers. Saying things like that as part of a baby shower for some wonderful ladies that are about to give birth is about as smart as something that comes out of Paris Hilton. My apologies. Let's start this post over again.

Dear Mrs. Chicky, Mrs. Chicken and Her Bad Mother,

You are at that magical point in your family when you go from one child to two. I remember trying to get tons of special time in with my first born before the second one made her grand appearance. Little did I realize that Strawberry was not going anywhere. We still have plenty of time together to bond as I do with my youngest Buttercup. Everything seems to multiply when you add another baby to the mix. The fun, kisses and hugs, the plastic sea of toys, the laundry and the not so fun tantrums.

There is a time for adjusting to having another person in the family. These growing pains go by quickly. I barely remember how Strawberry would jump on my back and try to hug me with the tightest squeeze whenever I was holding Buttercup.

Being the older sister meant lavishing attention on the roly-poly new baby. Placing kisses on little toes can abruptly turn into a sudden jealous bite. It's confusing having this new sibling at first but the love comes rushing to the surface.

I remember worrying that if one woke up crying that the whole family would be crying a chorus of tears through the long night. Thankfully that was unnecessary worrying. I keep my children so tired that when one wakes up in the middle of the night, the other sleeps like a rock.

I quickly discovered that having two children means that you will always have at least one angel. Whenever one decides to act up, the other goes pie eyed with pure innocence and looks at the other like they could never display behaviour that naughty even if it was their turn five minutes ago.

As the little one learns all the same tricks as the first has mastered like holding their head up, sitting, talking, walking and running well then the real fun begins. Seeing my children happily play together is worth all those growing pains. Hearing my children sing together makes my heart just about explode. I can see their bond and know even though they are going to have plenty of trying arguments, there will be even more hugs. The two of them are going to be the other's anchor, cheering each other on and sticking together through thick and thin.

Life with two is a dance party. Load up your MP3 player's ladies and let the good times roll.

8 Singing the blues:

Amy said...

And we do love some dancing up in this here house. Thank you friend. And your girls are so delicious. They practically beg to be squeezed!

Run ANC said...

I love this. Love.

kittenpie said...

I love this post! So sweet! And funny! And full of delicious pictures of your cutest of girls!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

When I first started reading you, you had just had that adorable second little girl.

Sigh. Time flies.

Thanks, friend.

The Domesticator said...

Sweet post, Jana. And ohhhh... I love the pictures of your sweeties!

Karen MEG said...

What a lovely post... and your sweeties are so adorable!!!

One Crazy Chick! said...

You've summed it up perfectly!

While I am super excited to be nearing the two out of diapers as well it is easy to forget all the worry about #2.

Beautiful Post!

Her Bad Mother said...

Okay, oh my god, your words? And those pictures? MADE ME CRY FOR REALS.

Thank you for that.

xoxo