Thursday, July 17, 2008

In the Heat of the Day

I was on edge.

She had her bathing suit on and it was already sweltering. She was exceedingly quiet as she sat in the backseat probably daydreaming about a day at the beach. I know that I would prefer the sand in my toes with the scent of sunscreen heavy in the air.

That was not meant to be. I was going to spend another day cooped up with the air conditioner blasting beside me. If I were lucky I wouldn’t have to turn my space heater on.

At my desk I took a sip of my coffee and my thoughts drifted back to her.

I should have opened the window just a crack. The car was only a half a block away in the hot garage. At least it was out of direct sunlight.

I imagined an innocent bystander walking by. They might glance in and rush to call the authorities. The humidex made the 31 degrees Celsius high feel more like a scorching 40!

Almost ten hours had passed. I emerged out of the office and immediately felt a blast of warm air wash over me. I was thankful that the summer sun had not yet set even though I had worked late. Deadlines loom over me and I can see my vacation days verging on the horizon.

My steps were quick as I approached her waiting patiently in the car. I raced down two flights to find her in the backseat. She looked so small in the car seat that is way too big for her.

Thankfully Alexandra is smiling. Her day was less stressful than mine.

8 Singing the blues:

crazymumma said...

...but her sunglasses are askew. Perhaps she has been drinking a little....

kittenpie said...

As I scrolled down, I half expected her legs to have melted off or something! I know mine have been feeling like it would be nice to dissove into a puddle of cool liquid...

Anonymous said...

The funny thing was reading this at work were my internet blocks out the pictures and I had to try to figure out just who you were talking about!!!

petite gourmand said...

Love her fab hair braid..she is so ready for the beach...

Kyla said...

Clever, clever.

moplans said...

good thing she didn't melt!

Neil said...

I bet she even enjoyed the sun from the window (and the attention from the passer-bys).

Nancy said...

I hope she was able to do some shopping and maybe get her nails done to escape the heat for a bit. ;-)