Thursday, July 03, 2008

To Chance

I am three days fashionably late. It was then, at the cottage that I hugged you and wished you a happy anniversary. I went on to tease you for my present knowing very well that we had not purchased each other gifts.

With your quick wit you promised that you were going to buy me a coffee. You know the way into my heart is less than two dollars. You did not let me off the hook and wondered what you would get in return. I promised you this.

“We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person.”
– William Somerset Maugham

You are but a hint of the twenty three year old boy that I boldly walked up to and introduced myself to fifteen years ago. I still hear it in your laughter. I catch it in your bright smile and that mischievous spark in your eye.

You are barely the same man that I joined at the end of the aisle when I wore the white dress and made big promises to only six years ago.

It’s hard to say if it was marriage or having children that changed our relationship because we waited nine years before either. The thing that surprises me most is that I am still discovering you.

The happy chance is that six years ago there was one girl professing her love to you and now there are three.

15 Singing the blues:

Run ANC said...

I LOVE that photo - happy anniversary!

crazymumma said...

The way to the heart of a long term love is paved with the small things. Coffee and laughter being two of them.

That is a stunning photo.

kittenpie said...

This is really lovely, blue, and so perfectly captures what it is to grow together. I love that quotation.

And lucky Mr. Blue - how gorgeous are the three of you?!

ewe are here said...

Lovely ... all of it.

Tania said...

Happy Anniversary! Beautiful post.

motherbumper said...

Wow, what a beautiful post. Happy Anniversary and yes, I agree with kittenpie, Mr. Blue is a lucky man to have three such wonderful ladies.

carrie said...

Happy Anniversary to you! Love the pic!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! He's a lucky guy having 3 beautiful ladies with him!! Gorgeous picture!

Kyla said...

Happy anniversary. This was simply gorgeous.

petite gourmand said...

great pic and happy anninversary!!

b*babbler said...

Aww - happy anniversary.

He must love this photo - all his girls, smiling.

Urban Daddy said...

What a beautiful post! Happy Anniversary!

Her Bad Mother said...

aaaawwwww... so. beautiful.

happy anniversary to you! xo

karengreeners said...

happy anniversary! you blue gals are so, so beautiful.

The Domesticator said...

What a beautiful post. This has to be one of my favorite posts ever....great writing, Jana.

Happy Anniversary to you both (sorry I'm a little late to the party)