Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Mercury rising

It is just my luck. I was feeling like crap. So bad that I actually dragged my two small children with me to a hastily scheduled doctor's appointment. This is where I discovered that they can do nothing for my inner ear infection. The room is spinning.... Wheeeeeeeeeeeee... If I'm going to feel as if I'm constantly drunk, I might as well crack open a bottle or two. Or more. Many more.

As I'm packing up my overtired cranky baby and rambunctious toddler, I discover that City TV is Everywhere. (That's their slogan.) They want to interview me about the effects of tuna.

Do I have makeup on?
No.

Do I sound like a babbling idiot?
Yes.

Do I give them the answers that they want?
No.

Do I think they will use me in their segment?
Please No! Who do I have to pay?



Yes I know that mercury levels in tuna can harm developing nervous systems. I was never warned of that fact during my first pregnancy. I ate an alarming amount of tuna. I used to think of tuna as a super brain food and chowed down tuna salad sandwiches almost every other day. Thankfully my daughter has not shown any signs of having been harmed by my tuna addiction. It is yet another thing to lose sleep over.

It is the second time that our local news has approached me to be on camera in less than a week. The first time it was CTV at the airport in their search to find candidates who were about to embark on a vacation. As we were delivering my mom and not flying off to a resort, they quickly moved along. What is it with camera crews following me around? I'm starting to feel like Britney Spears.

13 Singing the blues:

Sandra said...

Oh Brittney can I have your autograph?!

I hope your ear infection gets better soon. City TV IS everywhere - I've been interviewed twice in the last few years on random stuff not including the times I've done it for them for work.

Marcie said...

That's so funny you posted about this today, NPR had a segment on tuna and it's high level of mercury yesterday. I agree with Nicole on this one.
Sorry about your ear infection.

Mom101 said...

I hope it passes quickly. I had one of those and I couldn't figure out why the room was spinning if I was standing still. Or was I...

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I've had that inner-ear thing. Its no fun, so my heart goes out to you.

Rule of thumb: Waitresses will always ask you if you need anything when your mouth is full and TV cameras will always catch you when you're not looking your best. But can I call you "Britney" now? ;)

mamatulip said...

I love City.

Man, I love tuna. I don't wanna stop eating it.

Andrea said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! I hope they at least gave you antibiotics.

Anonymous said...

yuck I hope your inner ear gets better soon, that feeling of being off balance sucks!!

LOL you must look very approachable and super sexy for them to follow you around!!!

Cristina said...

When I was pregnant, I was so scared about the tuna thing that I took part in a mercury study to see how much mercury I had in my system. It was cool. I just had to submit a lock of my hair to find out how much was in my system. Luckily I had a "safe" level of toxics in my body.

Well, good luck on the interview. That is pretty neat!

noncommon said...

this is funny! once, at the start of the first gulf war, i was a little under the influence and in a grocery store - hmmmmmmmm did you figure out the influence? and the news crew approached me to get my opinion. yup! i spoke! and that night on the 10pm news, there i was - no make-up, cotton mouth, and red eyed. but i actually did pretty good.
as far as the inner ear thing goes - my dad just had that and the doc told him to take an over the counter allergy pill. hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

Yes, well we all know that britney is a litter, er- off balance too, so you have that in common as well.

Maybe she just has an untreatable inner ear infection? Explains so much...

The Domesticator said...

You must have that celebrity appeal!
Sorry to hear about that inner ear infection. I am sure that dizziness can't be much fun. hope you are feeling better soon! :)

Debbie said...

I wanted to post, but blogger said no.

so today, while I'm probably much too late to well-wish when it still matters, I do it anyway.

nyaaah, blogger.

I hope you're feeling better, doll.

Willie Baronet said...

You can't give up the sushi! :-)