Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Must Remember To Breathe

I'm a big time slacker. Dear most awesome bloggy friends… I beg for your forgiveness. You all rule. I offer promises that I will soon be coming 'round your parts. Don't push the toys under the couch. Honestly I am even blind to my own tornado disaster that I call my house. This skill is well developed. I'll be bringing pie, cake, brownies or do you prefer a salty treat? We all seem to either crave sweet goodies or salty munchies. Me, I'm pretty much an 'And' girl. I have been buried under a stack of Häagen-Dazs containers and multiple packages of Baked Lays. I've had to eat my way free. (So much for getting my sexy back.) This phase is called hibernation in Canada. Sleeping and eating doesn't leave room for blogging.

One of my favourite times of the day is when I get the chance to observe a few moments of my children interacting with others at daycare. I love that Buttercup easily joins in with the group of toddlers playing at the rice table. I adore how the Senior Preschoolers turn into the gang from Cheers, crying out the name of each child as they enter the room. A group of them rush over to greet each other with a hug.

Today after the hug routine I turned around to exit. I closed the door and peaked into the window to watch Strawberry join the others that were doing a free style dance movement. To my amazement she was already leading the group around the room in a train like dance. I don't doubt that she is a natural leader. It's amazing how we have certain personality traits that without developing and nurturing still shine from such an early age.

I was driving to work, wishing my CD player would stop skipping. I was in my lane, minding my own business when a bus decided that it would merge into my lane without waiting for me to get ahead. I was looking at the driver so I am sure that he could see me. I had two options - be side swiped by the bus or be forced into oncoming traffic and risk a head on collision. I laid on my horn and swerved to avoid all vehicles. I see the need for a large ass minivan and a much louder horn. Breathe.

I checked out my personalized Google homepage and the top article left me heartbroken. My thoughts are with this Alberta family. It is time for car manufacturers to do something about power windows. Too many children have suffered this fate. As parents we also have to remind ourselves how quickly accidents can happen. Breathe.

To end this rambling, I love that the Tooth Fairy delivers fairy dust. She rocks! Wouldn't it be great if there was a Hair Fairy that delivered money for your discarded hair? A Nail Fairy? Oh yes, I'd do it all for the fairy dust. Hooray for sparkles!

14 Singing the blues:

Anonymous said...

Yes. Breathing is very difficult to do as a Mom.

I'll bring the margaritas you bring the chips and salsa...We'll have a vent session...I'm ready!

motherbumper said...

Breathe one two... and I'm always around to listen to you (that was not rambling btw).

Strawberry sounds amazing at daycare (and home too), I wish B makes friends like her.

I'll take the Hair Fairy - I'd be rich (or I'd at least have my coffee money each day).

Bea said...

That's my favourite treat too - peeking in at my children, watching them play with other kids, not knowing that I'm there.

Anonymous said...

Ok that toddler death is just too much! Oh my!! Wow!

Sorry now I am lost in that thought!

umm yes remember to breath ... yikes about the bus and almost accident ... cool that you get to peek in on the kids without them being aware!

nonlineargirl said...

I'd love a hair fairy, but not if she's going to bring more dust into my house. I have enough, thanks.

Sandra said...

Strawberry sounds amazing.

Breathe my friend. Breathe. I need a reminder too :)

Creative-Type Dad said...

Hair Fairy? I'd go for that.

crazymumma said...

I agree. This weather makes me want to curl around a bag of chips.

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Breathe in and out... and in and out... and in and out...

That truck thing would have freaked me right the f*ck out. Glad you didn't become a road pizza.

kittenpie said...

Oh, I am all about the hibernation. I've been falling asleep on teh couch at 8:30 or 9:00 a few nights these past few weeks, and my blog is suffering too. I always seem to put on some winter padding for warmth, too. Dammit!

But I'm going to be the bitchy devil's advocate about the toddler. Of course I feel terrible for that mother, who will never forgive herself for that, but I hate the tendency to blame the car or the manufacturers, as she and others no doubt will. Those children should never have been left alone in a car, running or not, and how long were they alone, for the 6-year-old to have unbuckled his sister and then fallen asleep?! Children should never be in a position where they are unattended and unbuckled in a car anyway, so why would a manufacturer think they need to make windows kidproof? I really hope this doesn't result in the nearly inevitable lawsuit, but I fear it will. Rant over... sorry to hijack comments.

And SO SO glad you were okay and avoided a car accident of your own!

ewe are here said...

Oh god! That Alberta story is horrifying, just horrifying!

And scarily enough, we were essentially run off the road by a big commercial truck just last night! I called the employer's number of the back of the truck and ranted into their voice mail system for a bit. So scary!

The Domesticator said...

I remember those Northern days and nights and hibernation. I totally understand that, my friend! Right now, though I am trying to get used to living in a place that is already 70 degrees in February and the daffodils are up...weird! But, I love it.
That is a heartbreaking story about that poor two year old. I cannot imagine. :(
However, on a lighter note, I am all for you bringing around something sweet and salty. I am not particular....

Pendullum said...

Da' rituals of bein' da Canehdien? Eh?

Anonymous said...

"The gang from Cheers"

Best analogy ever.